What Apple Watch collaborations would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gppittjk, Oct 9, 2015.

1. gppittjk macrumors regular

Hi all. Wanted to start a thread where we could have a little fun. Given the launch of Apple Watch | Hermes, I was thinking about various watch collaborations that could arise. Folks have already brought up companies like Tiffany and Burberry as potential examples.

With this thread, I'd like to get some ideas out for collaborations that we'd like to see. What company would you like to see work with Apple to make a great looking watch product? What would be special about that collaboration that would make it desirable? These are all hypothetical, so have some fun with it!

I know what I want to see: Apple Watch | Nike.

Apple Watch | Nike would be a special edition of Apple Watch Sport II. There would be six options, all with Nike footwear/apparel inspired bands:
    Gold with Purple Dusk Nike Sport Band (38mm)
    Rose Gold with Radiant Emerald Nike Sport Band (38mm)
    Silver with Pink Foil Nike Sport Band (38mm)
    Silver with Photo Blue Nike Sport Band (42mm)
    Silver with Volt Nike Sport Band (42mm)
    Silver with Bright Crimson Nike Sport Band (42mm)

The watch would include a subset of Apple's baked in faces, as well as two Nike-designed faces - one analog and one digital. The Nike faces would include a NikeFuel complication, compatible with the Nike+ Fuel app (launched with wOS3). The app would take advantage of the accelerometer and HRM in the Apple Watch | Nike to provide your Fuel score. The complication would be exclusive to the Apple Watch | Nike, but the app would be available to all Apple Watch II models and include a glance.

Apple has already begun its foray into the fashion industry with the Apple Watch | Hermes; I could see them furthering their relationship with Nike and butting even further into the fitness world with a concept like Apple Watch | Nike.

What does everyone thing? Comments/criticisms are welcome, and obviously new ideas are welcome as well!

2. Denzo macrumors member

Denzo

Love the Nike idea. As a Nike watch owner myself - don't forget to include GPS for this to work properly.

I'm not carrying my IPhone 6S plus around on a run.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Eddie Bauer, with an olive green aluminum body and an exclusive "field watch" face and custom hands. Comes with both green and orange bands, both of which glow in the dark.

A pack-in would be a battery pack with an integrated charging puck. Enough power to recharge a phone and watch twice, so you can spend the weekend away from electricity.

4. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Just out of curiosity, what would a Nike face look like? A quick search reveals that most are digital, those analogue faces are pretty much knock-offs of popular analogue faces, nothing distinguishable, and most don't have any kind of Nike logo on them , but rather on the case or bezel itself -- something I don't see Apple ever doing.

Also, if Nike offers the Nike+ Fuel app to the average watch user, and the average watch can have third party complications, wouldn't that kind of alienate some customers who might not want a garish Nike+ Sport watch, but want to use the app on their Hermes watch? So what's the answer for that? Have two versions of the app, one free, and the other an in app purchase for the complication?

Nike would be better off offering a bands collection instead, with the Nike logo on the band.

These partnerships are going to have to offer something relative to the brand recognition, or exclusive to the branded edition that otherwise won't interfere with the adoption of any other products the brand may offer to regular watch editions.

The Hermes looks like a Hermes watch. And with the Double Tour band at least, it's a signature look, even if the wearer is using another face. Tiffany is another signature look which might make good use of the watch. Though All three can be easily knocked off by third party band makers. The key to those is what actually sets the Hermes apart -- the custom leather band available nowhere else. Tiffany would have to have a sterling silver case. And Burberry would need something more than just a plaid watchband.

And at what point does it cheapen the Apple brand, when every customer is out to buy an Watch Hermes, Nieman Marcus, Nike, Disney, Star Wars, J Crew, Abercrombie & Fitch, Target or Wal-Mart edition, etc., and stops buying just a plain old Apple edition? Does Apple just take their cut like any other works supplier to the fashion brands now, and go into the watch band making business along with everybody else?

Hopefully Apple won't rush into these collaborations, and take their time to find a good fit that do both companies justice, and not just a gimmick to sell custom bands and inflate the prices.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'd love to see Marvel branded Apple Watches:

Ironman:
    - Red shiny casing, gold combination band
    - Jarvis HUD custom watch face
    - Jarvis for Siri's voice (assuming WatchOS one day allows Siri to talk back)

Hulk:
    - Dark green casing, purple combination band
    - Hulk's face as a custom watch face maybe where the hour indicators are dangling a little as if the watchface was punched by the Hulk

Captain America:
    - Dark Blue casing, red/white/blue band
    - Captain's shield for watch face.

etc, etc. You get the idea.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I'm a big fan of under armour and they have been pushing hard with fitness apps. Not sure if Nike will always have the inside track with Apple, but I love under armour. Tired of the swoosh. :)

7. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

8. Koudspeel macrumors regular

Koudspeel

While we're on the cartoon subject, maybe a spongebob watch or something! Yellow case with grey dots on it and a spongebob watchface.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Can't tell if you are poking fun at the idea or genuinely want a SpongeBob Apple Watch.

10. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

I'd like to see a Kate Spade collaboration, I love her iPhone cases and I think it'd introduce some more colourful options for straps with spots, stripes etc

I'd also like a Coach collaboration for some more fashionable leather straps.

11. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Burberry is a good candidate for a collaboration.

12. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

It will never happen, but I would like to see Apple and Garmin get together. Take the Apple Watch and its advantages (like screen, style, OS, apps, notifications) and add Garmin's ability to track workouts (GPS, run dynamics, HR, etc). That would be the ultimate watch for me. Having said that, I think the Apple Watch will get there on its own, with the aid of apps, as soon as it adds GPS. Maybe not the ruggedness or waterproofing or battery, but everything else will get there.

13. zyr123 macrumors 6502

14. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

OH I see what you did there ... Soon people will be saying, 'you can't tell the difference between Apple and Shinola!'

15. zyr123 macrumors 6502

i don't get it? Am i wrong would that not be a awesome collaboration?

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I thought you were referencing a recent thread on WatchUSeek about a NYT article on the Shinola watch factory in Detroit.

The thread itself exploded into a couple hundred posts, mostly argumentative.

17. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Please send me that thread it sounds fun.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not that sure about good looking but the Apple Watch in a tough plastic Casio G-Shock style case would be a useful combination for outdoor sports.

20. nicho macrumors 68000

Following their new naming convention would it be Apple Watch 2S Plus R?

This probably would be useful, even if like you say it wouldn't look so good. I'm wondering if the case itself could be made from the same fluroelastemer as the bands?

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

To be fair I don't think the current Apple watches look that great. :D

Wouldn't that be a bit too soft and flexible for the case?

22. nicho macrumors 68000

Is it vastly different from the material they make the silicon iPhone cases from? Obviously the inside would have to have some kind of metal structure. I'm thinking something like the LaCie rugged mini - the orange bumper that protects it. In multiple colours, going down the swatch route.

Perhaps it can be the Apple Watch Colour, or the route they go down with the sport to make it really sporty, then find something else to call the aluminium one.