what application/tool to use to create icons?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by beachdog, Aug 20, 2008.

1. beachdog macrumors member

This is going to sound like a horrible newbie question (it is), but given that I have to create png files for my tab bar icons etc, what tool on the Mac OS X should I use? Does said tool allow me to create the kinds of icons that also have text labels embedded, as many tab bar icons do?

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

3. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

4. theagentx macrumors newbie

theagentx

Does anyone here use PhotoShop (or GIMP) to develope the UI components or does everyone use IB for everything? I see screenshots from devs that have photoshop up and are designing UI, but does that file somehow make it into the actual app? or is it just for Mock-ups of the "end result?"

5. Delirium39 macrumors regular

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I worked with a designer on an app and he'd just send me the PSD files and I'd incorporate them into IB however appropriately. I don't think I'd ever let a designer make my nibs ;)

One of the icon designers I've worked with used Illustrator first for basic layouts of the icon (to support higher resolutions) and then for details would use Photoshop.

7. theagentx macrumors newbie

theagentx

TO get the png files into IB? Is this done by importing the different PNG files into Xcode and using the plists and such to point to the images?