What application would best suit these needs?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by c073186, May 9, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I want an application that will let me do basic photo enhancing and also some editing. For example, I would like to take a picture of a beach, then take a picture that has two people in it, cut those people out and put them on the beach to make it look like they were there --- stuff similar to that. What would be my best choice? Is Photoshop overkill? What about Aperture?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Photoshop Elements (V6 is the latest) will do this and a lot more besides .. :)

PS
    If you really get into image manipulation then Photoshop (full version) is the one to have.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I agree with Father Jack, I used to use Elements 2.0 (showing my age), and that was more than enough for me, very powerful app.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

5. PHX-Locksmith macrumors newbie

PHX-Locksmith

I second that!

6. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Through my school I can get: "Photoshop Extended CS3 for Mac License & Media for Students, Faculty, and Staff" for $179. I checked Adobe's site and it says that that is worth $999 - is that accurate? I savings of $820? I thought maybe the school one was only an upgrade but based on the title it sounds like the regular version. I'm thinking I might just do that.

7. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

go for it man, photoshop for $179.00 is practically a steal, I am saving up for the academic version of cs3 from my school, lol $308.00 for it is not bad, right?

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

As mariotheotaku says, at that price it really is a steal .... :)

At that price it would be criminal not to go for it ... :cool:

9. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Yes, by all means invest in Photoshop, just be warned, Student versions are not supposed to be used for commercial endeavors.

10. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

that is true, but as soon as you graduate the program and license becomes yours. (at least in my case that is what happens)

11. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

It does become yours for non commercial purposes. As soon as you cross over to commercial use, you are supposed to get a Full version. Otherwise it is considered a version of piracy & you can be fined if audited.

12. shecky Guest

shecky

you CAN use CS3 product for any use, including commercial use, if you are legally allowed to buy the software at an academic discount and are an "educational end user".

an "educational end user" is defined as

you will note that NOWHERE does it say an "educational end user" may not use the software for commercial work. In fact, you may.

the older Macromedia software was under a different license that did NOT allow for academic software to be used for making money, but as of CS3 (maybe even CS2) you can use it for whatever you like.

i own a design studio and teach college level design; i use only academic versions of adobe products and make money with them every day. i actually get volume academic licenses through my school, which is even cheaper than regular academic pricing. i think i bought design premium for $299.

13. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are there any other Adobe programs that I should buy now to take advantage of the reduced price? I can get: Adobe InDesign® CS3, Photoshop CS3 Extended, Illustrator CS3, Acrobat 8 Professional, Flash CS3 Professional, Dreamweaver CS3, Fireworks CS3, Contribute CS3, After Effects CS3 Professional, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, Soundbooth™ CS3, and Encore CS3, Adobe Bridge CS3, Version Cue CS3, Device Central CS3, Dynamic Link, and Adobe OnLocation CS3. I do not know what half of these do but if any are particularly useful/cool I might buy it in case I want it in the future.