What applications come pre-installed on a late 2012 Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by islander108, Apr 2, 2017.

1. islander108 macrumors newbie

I can't remember which OS I started with (maybe Mavericks? whatever was the current one in 2013). I'm trying to cull a bunch of apps and clean up my desktop but I don't want to delete any that came with it to begin with.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

From Apple support pages:
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21852?locale=en_US

There would be a handful of differences (probably less than six different, but mostly all the same for any Mac sold new in the last 8 years or so.
    A few (like iTunes) may not let you delete without some terminal commands. And usually those are ones that you would not delete, anyway, because you would know that you use them, or simply apps that are required by the system.

Any others, you can post the names of apps here that you are not sure about.

3. islander108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks; that helps. The first one I wasn't sure on was Automator, which seems to be one that came with it.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

One tip is to try Get Info on any app.
    The version information on an Apple-provided app will mention Apple.

I did see a strange exception to that, with the App Store. Doesn't list Apple at all in the Get Info window.
    But, that would be one that you use, too!

5. islander108 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. islander108 thread starter macrumors newbie

So as not to make another thread, I'll ask it here:

Though it's not an 'Apple' app like my original question, do I need Microsoft Silverlight anymore? I seem to recall I downloaded it for netflix years ago but does netflix still run from that (or Amazon Video as I use that too)? Google searches give contradictory answers.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Netflix can still use Silverlight if it's installed, but modern browsers don't require it. I think there's a specific uninstaller you should use instead of just deleting it out of /Applications.

8. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

You started with Mountain Lion if you purchased the mini before the last quarter of the year. Mavericks was released on October 22, 2013. :apple:

9. kaibob macrumors regular

DeltaMac indicates there are a few differences, and I believe two are Numbers and Pages, which were not installed on my 2012 Mini. When I go to the app store the price is $19.99.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

yes, those two, along with Keynote, may or may not be on your Mac. Not part of the system software package, but are still Apple apps that you might have purchased at some point. Also, you may or may not have Garageband, and iMovie.
    Those may also have been added to your system for free, or you may have purchased them. It will vary from one Mac to another. That's the few that I was talking about.

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Just to be specific, Apple has a technical specs page which provides this list of applications for the 2012 Mini:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp659?locale=en_US

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Yes, but later on, after Apple started including Pages, Numbers and Keynote on Macs, refurbished 2012 Minis got those apps also even though they were not included on new 2012's when they were released.

13. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

True! The OP seemed to imply that they purchased their Mini in 2013, though. :)