What applications do consumers look for

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Awesomeness, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Awesomeness macrumors member

I would like to make an application that will be distributed on the internet (I'll probably make it free) but I want to make it something people would want to use.

What do do you think people in general want? What do you want yourself? Is it a game? If so, specify game mechanics. Is it software? If so, specify exactly what it'd do.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is nothing that people "in general" want.

3. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

I didn't mean it that way. I mean, what's an example of an application that ANYONE would want? I mean, if I made a word processor, no one would use it, because OpenOffice and Word exist. I'm asking what's a good idea for a program that people would use.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If it's going to be free, I'd say a journal app. So far, there are no good, free journal (diary) apps that I know of.

The cheapest I can find is $14.99.

So..I'd be very appreciative if you made one :D.

5. mbmobile macrumors member

Well, I'm looking for a sound/voice recording application that integrates with Evernote.

Something small, easy to use, that saves audio in MP3 (possibly directly as a Evernote notes) in a directory, giving the possibility to automatically set the name as "Date - Time (Duration)".

It can be used to quickly record lectures and meetings.

Having the possibility to have it resilient in the menu bar, having the opportunity to directly from there.

Is something I wasn't able to find till now, and it should be quite easy to be done.

Just my 2 cents.

MB

6. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

That sounds neat. Would you want it to have security features?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I wouldn't mind seeing an option to enable password protection, requiring a password to access the journal. Seems to be just about the right level of security for such an app, in my humble opinion.

Also, if these ever came to fruition, I think it'd be neat to implement some of the cooler features I've seen in the paid journal apps, such as the ability to insert a photo from isight, and also select either an applicable to mood smiley face, or star rating for the day.

I really wish there was a free journal app. All of the ones I've found are too damn expensive :(.

8. asdfx3 macrumors newbie

You should really try to think of an application you yourself have a need for. Programming takes a lot of time and patience and if you're just working to fill someone else's desire it will be much harder to stick it out. In addition, if you don't eat your own dogfood you'll be less likely to know what to fix, tweak, and add. If you have trouble thinking of a good project try to see if you use any open source software that you could contribute to, or small projects to streamline the way you use your computer. Sooner or later you'll find some application lagging, or think to yourself "why can't I do X?" and you'll have a target you'll really dedicate yourself to.

Personally, I'm trying to get back into programming (I took a few courses in college and made a handful of small apps, but nothing lasting) because I've discovered Emacs Org-Mode and want to put a nice GUI on it to make it more hassle free for me to use.

9. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Can you please make me a standalone spreadsheet application? :D

(to all those piping in with "get OpenOffice or NeoOffice"... I said standalone)