What applications*in mac would you rather like to be free?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kidalex, Oct 4, 2008.

1. kidalex macrumors newbie

There a lot of applications available to mac now, but a lot of the great ones aren't free.

What apps would you like to be free that aren't?

I would choose Screenflow, AppZapper, Halo, and Microsoft Office (bleh microsoft)

What about you?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I would like none of them to be free. As a professional programmer free applications undercut my very ability to make a living. Well sort-of as I write internal apps for a huge bank.

Still, how would you like it if people kept whining that the results of whatever you do for a living should be free? Should I be able to walk into a top restaurant and eat for free? Travel to work for free? Have a plumber come round for free?

4. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I wish that macs came with iwork for free. That would be awesome!

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree. i think a word processing apps and such should be bundled in as most people buy computers for school, work, etc

all i can say is thank god for openoffice

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how about all of them except mine of course;)

7. belunos macrumors member

I haven't really felt a need to buy any program with mine. The only thing I've had to buy was Rivet.. I found a free equivalent for pretty much everything else

8. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

all of them :) ma os x being free itself would be also awesome :)

9. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

My dream of NewsFire being free recently were addressed, so im ok for now.

10. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Not free exactly, but I think Apple should license a basic image editor to be provided with all new systems; something like Acorn or Pixelmator. It's a shame that the "creativity" system is has not basic graphics tool out of the box.

11. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Why not just demand the computer be free as well? If not, what is the difference between the software and the computer that is required to run the software?

Usually this "All Software Should Be Free" comes from whiny college kids who don't know that the real world compensates effort with money, or morons who have such low value for any software they think even $5 is too much.

Go to CUBA and see how much "free" stuff you get in the Communist "paradise" in the balmy caribbean.

12. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

I think everything should cost $15-50 and only have limited shareware as the free version.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You need to take a look at what you get with a Windows machine and think again about what you just wrote.

14. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Actually, it would be more like having the recipes available for free. And, much like available software, there are equivalent recipes available for free from a variety of sources. Sometimes they suit your needs...other times, you just have to have that certain dish from that certain restaurant.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your analogy is so flawed. Actually the guy you quoted was spot on.
    The restaurant is the shell just like the Mac.
    The food served to represent the restaurant is the same as the software offered to represent the computer.

Your flawed analogy states the recipes at the restaurant are the same as the computer software when they are more like the developers programming code for the software. Neither make any sense to give away for free.

Good computing software should be paid for. Those who think not have no bills to pay and most likely live with mommy.