What applications should I delete?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by financeguy, Sep 24, 2009.

1. financeguy macrumors member

I'm trying to free up some disk space on my MBA and wanted to know what applications, which came with my computer, I should delete.

So far I deleted Garageband, as I have no interest in using it. Based on your experiences, which applications do you almost never use?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Run monolingual to rid yourself of unnecessary language packs. Remove iWeb/iMove etc if you don't think you'll use it.
    Other than that the rest aren't really huge hard drive hogs.

3. financeguy thread starter macrumors member

That's a great idea. If I only read and white in english, are there any downsides to doing this? If not, are there instructions anywhere?

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

You have to be careful with monolingual because you can accidentally remove some files that will leave your MBA with a useless keyboard.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Based on my experiences, I would delete iTunes, iWeb, iPhoto, iCal, iMovie, GarageBand, and iDVD. Your usage on any of those programs might differ.

6. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Xslimmer is more reliable, as it has a black list of applications not to be modified (some experience problems later on).

7. jointsmoking macrumors regular

Just deleting applications will not gain you that much room.

I would follow the steps in this guide.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Complete_Steps_to_Perform_a_Clean_OS_X_Reinstall_on_Your_MacBook_Air

I am also a fan of x-slimmer.

Hope this helps.

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Deleting garage band may help a little, deleting all the loops that come with garage band will help a lot!
    Also iWeb and iDVD themes can be quite large IIRC
    Look in /Library/Application Support/Garageband - 2.5Gb on my system
    I also upgraded from leopard, thought that snow leopard would remove all unnecessary printer drivers, still, just found a gigs worth in /Library/Printers