What applications to clean up computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Radiosuit, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Radiosuit macrumors newbie

Hi, i want to know what clean up applications you guys use to clean up your computer, Ive heard of Clean my mac, but ive read that sometimes it deletes more than just junk... What is the best way or application to clean up junk?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't recommend CleanMyMac at all: CleanMyMac cleaned too much
    The best way to delete apps thoroughly is manually, as described in that thread.
    For removal of excess languages and architectures, I use Monolingual.

3. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

4. Greka macrumors newbie

CleanMyMac Support

Using a cleaning utility definitely involves some risks.

Our app, CleanMyMac is as safe as a cleaner can get these days. Any of the rare difficulties can be easily resolved and it has all the tools for that.

It would be impossible to reach the first place as the most popular app in its category on Apple downloads with a bad or unstable app, right? I'd consider that if I were choosing a cleaner :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use any and I've not really run into any issues.
    Onyx is good but it only does what's built into unix, that is run the clean-up scripts that run anyways.

I've read where people ran into problems with monolingual, because it deleted too much. I'd personally not worry about the lanuguages/architectures. Its not like they're consuming huge portions of the hard drive. Risk vs. reward, you're not gaining anything but risking the stability of something goes wrong.

6. sfdmjd macrumors newbie

7. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I am sorry but CleanMyMac has been really painful to remove from my mac. Unless you provide a proper uninstall program I wouldn't recommend it.

8. Greka macrumors newbie

to Angelo95210

CleanMyMac is an uninstaller in itself.

Just use its own Uninstall Applications feature to uninstall it with no trace. It cannot be more simple.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

^+1000

I have OnyX, but rarely use it. When I do, it is more out of curiosity than need. Microsoft includes system maintenance utilities with Windows because they are need. Apple does not include system maintenance utilities with the Mac because they are not--the Disk First Aid component of Disk Utility notwithstanding. MacOS X with its UNIX underpinnings will take care of itself if you allow it to.

One more thing--you should never setup a process on your computer to delete anything automatically. As sure as a goose goes barefooted, automatic file deletion will jump up and bite you.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have links to a thread on that, please post a link. Monolingual only removes languages and architectures, nothing else. If the wrong language or architecture is removed, it's because the user chose to do that. Microsoft Office used to have a problem with upgrades on systems where not all languages were present, but that has been corrected, and the problems was Microsoft's. I haven't heard of any problems with Monolingual deleted too much.

11. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

This is what I did. I got messages related to CleanMyMac months after having deleted it. Look at the related thread quoted above.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316124#18

There's also some stuff out on google about the keyboard not functioning, and over on apple support discussions there was some discussions about folks having issues with it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no evidence in that thread that Monolingual caused problems. There was nothing linking the keyboard problem to Monolingual, other than the poster's assumption. The one who said they had to do a reinstall never said what problem they had, or how Monolingual might have caused it.

Again, if a user chooses to remove the wrong language or architecture, that's the user's responsibility. Monolingual only does what you tell it to do.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming that Monolingual... or any app... is perfect. I'm not defending it; I'm just looking for factual evidence that it causes a problem, other than user error. If I see such evidence, I'll stop recommending it.

I've used it successfully for years with zero problems, and it's saved several GB of disk space for me.