What Applications Will Benefit from Dedicated Graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m85476585, Feb 26, 2008.

1. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to decide between a MB and a MBP. With the recent updates, the high-end white MB looks like a great deal compared to the low-end MBP. The MB is $700 cheaper, and I wouldn't have to sacrifice much.

Smaller screen: I can buy a 20" LCD from Dell with the money I would save and still it would still be cheaper. The smaller size may actually be a benefit because the MB is a bit more portable.
    Smaller hard drive: I plan to upgrade to a 200GB 7200 RPM drive and install it myself whether I get the MB or MBP (although it is only $100 as a BTO now instead of $275).
    No expresscard slot: The only thing I ever used the PCMCIA slot for on my old laptop was wireless.
    No Firewire 800: I hardly even use FW400.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the graphics card. My old laptop, a cheap Dell, had integrated graphics and only 512mb of RAM, and it was painfully slow. I plan to upgrade my new laptop to 4GB of RAM no matter which laptop I get (again, installing it myself because the BTO is overpriced). My question is: What applications will benefit from dedicated graphics? I don't plan on using it for gaming.

2. Glueeater macrumors regular

Dedicated graphics is basically for gaming or heavy visual software applications (3Dsmax etc?)

Go macbook if you're not a designer or gamer.