What apps are NO LONGER needed with Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neoben, Oct 26, 2007.

1. neoben macrumors member

Howdy...

I hate to have things I don't need running in the background slowing things down, but I've had to have a few things running because they were missing in 10.4.

So, what apps am I running now that I can delete once 10.5 is installed?

So far:

1) QuickSilver - Is the new spotlight good enough to dump QS?
    2) VirtueDesktop - I assume Spaces means this is no longer needed?
    3) SuperDuper - Time Machine will take care of backups now?
    4) PathFinder - New finder is good enough to ditch this?

Anyone else know what other 'additions' to OS10.4 can now be retired? What have I missed here?

-Ben
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

3. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

So, how good is spotlight at launching apps compared to QS? I just can't see myself living without QS. Control-Space / A few letters and Enter gets me running most everything instantly.

- James

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I don't think you want to write off SuperDuper just yet - Time Machine is great at backing up all of your data (minus whatever folders you choose to exclude) but SuperDuper is much better for running selective backups (ie, a single folder or two) ... I still plan on using SuperDuper to backup my images to a second external drive, I like keeping offsite and emergency backups, and I think TM isn't really suited for that.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Even more importantly, TM isn't bootable, whereas SD is.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well time machine for me has been a complete nightmare!
    I tried it on my imac 2.8 and macbook, both experiences were nasty.

Initially did a first backup on the imac with an external FW800 raid drive, although it appears to not backup all of the data, looks like it does it in sections even before it starts doing the hourly backups. Anyway the prob i have on the 2.8 mac is that it takes soooooooooo long for the incremental's to work i ended up turning it off as the hdd noise was too much for me.
    Then I tried an external usb2 400gig on it, well this just failed with errors indicating that the drive may be faulty, i reformatted it then tried this on the macbook, failed with the same errors.
    Made me suspitious as the drive wasnt that old and had been in full use archiving data before Time Machine.
    I purchased a new 2.5" 250gb external sata (usb2) for the macbook to try out time machine, I have about 180gig of info on there.
    1st backup it backed up 80 gig then said it was going to carry on in an hour - fair enough?
    an hour passed, sure enough it kicked in to play, and then failed after about 2 mb of data (it pauses for an AGE saying it is "preparing" and this is what it did with the external 400gig). Anyway it failed with a none descriptive error, something like, "hey its failed" and thats that.

needless to say, for me on 2 machines with 3 different HDD's time machine is a load of rubbish. Oh yes it looks great on paper and ive seen it working, but right now - not here.
    Its disabled.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Isn't this exactly how Spotlight works, only with Command instead of Control?

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's odd, it's working perfectly here on the same machine (2.8GHz iMac)

The only thing I did notice was that I had hourly backups from last night (all night) but the iMac was supposed to be asleep ... I hope Time Machine doesn't wake the computer up for the incremental updates, because if you have it set to sleep after any more than an hour of inactivity, it basically means your computer will NEVER sleep. :eek:

9. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

Firefox has been unnecessary for me since the Safari 3.0 beta. :cool:

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Yes, but in Leopard it's that little bit snappier.

11. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

:p

12. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

And as my Boss says, "I get high speed email now". He always jokes about how he can read emails faster every time he upgrades.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, I've noticed that Firefox starts a LOT faster the first time you fire it up after logging in. Which is fine by me :D

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably OT, but I don't have to install Leopard to know that Classic is totally dead, along with all the applications that used to run under Classic. This is a bummer of the first order, especially since Apple failed to notify us of Classic's demise. I can't even install Leopard until I can find a solution to this problem.

15. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Who needs classic anyways. I agree with the apps removed yes, i removed them all instantly anyways :)

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I do, very much so (or I would not have mentioned it). Anyway, it's OT so never mind.

17. cell-gfx macrumors member

Sharepoints was useful before for setting up SMB shares, but the new file sharing granularity kind of removes my need for it.

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that's all you have to do in leopard, though spotlight was never bad at launching apps in tiger. you press cmd-space, a couple letters and cmd-return. and in leopard, return launches the app, and cmd-return reveals the app in the finder. throw in boolean searching, calculator functionality and browser history searching, and spotlight really can't be beat. not as an app launcher anyway.

19. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I'll be using Mail for my RSS when I get Leopard, will be dumping Vienna.

20. cell-gfx macrumors member

Actually, now GMail has IMAP, I'm finding I actually use Mail more than I do logging into GMail in my browser.

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I dunno about that one, i use vienna and Mails rss feed doesn't seem up to it. We will see. I like Viennas ability to open the web pages. I have mail in a separate space and if i want to read the story it then flips the space to Safari. Whereas in Vienna i can get all my reading done in one app.