What apps are safe to remove?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by altecXP, Jun 2, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

I dont use:
    Facetime
    iChat
    Chess
    frontrow

Can I just delete them?

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I personally wouldn't remove native apps!:eek:
    They are not taking up a lot of HDD space, and are not always running, stealing resources.
    In my opinion, its just asking for problems.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can just delete them, but WHY? Do you have so few storage capacity, that the extra 401KB + 53.1MB + 3.8MB + xyK/MB will greatly improve your Mac?

4. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

I just don't like having crap around that I don't need/use.

5. simsaladimbamba

I am the same, but I often had a case of "*****, now I need that thing I deleted twelfty days ago", thus I keep the standard applications, as I just use Alfred or Spotlight to start applications (faster).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer not to delete apps that came bundled with Mac OS X. It could cause problems with Software Update. Also, there are a great number of threads where people have deleted such apps, only to come back later and ask how to reinstall them. The space saving isn't worth it.

If you don't want to see them, create an Apps folder and fill it with aliases to the apps you care most about. Then use that folder on the Dock, instead of the Applications folder. You see fewer apps, but no apps are moved from their original installed location.