Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a aTV1, and obviously cant get airplay (gutted), I have an iPhone 4.

So on the aTV2, what apps can work with airplay? what can you use it with it?

YouTube app?
eg I have in UK, TVcatchup, it plays TV live, can this be streamed?
VLC player?
Any other video apps?

Or is it a case of only the inbuilt Apple Video player that can Airplay to the aTV2?

I was just wondering as it may be a future purchase

cheers

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
As far as I have found so far, only the built-in apps are doing VIDEO AirPlay. Pretty much everything does AUDIO AirPlay. I don't know this to be true, but my expectation is that 3rd party video apps will start being updated to do Video AirPlay soon.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Some videos, like the ones in the built-in YouTube app, will stream, but other videos (strangely, such as YouTube videos that are embedded) will only stream the audio. The video still plays on the device.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
native video apps are doing video airplay at the mo, like youtube app and ipod app, everything else is just audio.

but 3rd party apps will get video airplay early next year from the sounds of it.

Last edited:

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
native video apps are doing video airplay at the mo, like youtube app and ipod app, everything else is just audio.

but 3rd party apps will get video airplay early next year from the sounds of it.

To expand: videos in the iPod app (on the iPhone) or in the Videos app (on the iPad and, I presume, the iPod Touch) will stream audio and video, but sync-ed videos in the Photos app will not stream at all (neither audio nor video) from either my iPhone or iPad. Which is too bad because it would be pretty sweet to shoot some video with your iPhone then be able to stream it right away directly from your camera roll to the :apple:TV.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
To expand: videos in the iPod app (on the iPhone) or in the Videos app (on the iPad and, I presume, the iPod Touch) will stream audio and video, but sync-ed videos in the Photos app will not stream at all (neither audio nor video) from either my iPhone or iPad. Which is too bad because it would be pretty sweet to shoot some video with your iPhone then be able to stream it right away directly from your camera roll to the :apple:TV.
Well that is a little daft, indeed, to be able to take pics and video on the iphone and then "airplay" them to aTV2, I thought would be a given...seems a big oversite to me?

Also so nothing but the inbuilt iPod app is doing it, very limited at the moment then...pity

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well that is a little daft, indeed, to be able to take pics and video on the iphone and then "airplay" them to aTV2, I thought would be a given...seems a big oversite to me?

Also so nothing but the inbuilt iPod app is doing it, very limited at the moment then...pity

the youtube app does it too, plus you can show pics you've taken, just not videos. but videos will come as will 3rd party apps early in 2011, so it's on its way, i'm still making great use of it, so when the rest comes, will be a bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.