Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
I was recently trying to remember where I discovered a certain music artist, and that led to me looking through my app purchase history. A lot of apps were no longer available, and I started thinking about some of my favourite apps that had been discontinued. Here are a few of them:

AUX Magazine
This wasn’t on the list, but it was the app that I was trying to remember.

It was a digital music magazine, and it demonstrated what the iPad could do as some of the tracks were embedded in the pages. The design was great, too.
https://appsftw.com/app/aux-magazine

Zite
Zite was a content discovery app. You selected your interests, and the app would find relevant content. Unlike similar apps, it felt like you were getting a curated experience.

The company was bought by Flipboard with the intention of integrating the algorithm into their app, but it never felt the same.
https://uk.pcmag.com/ipad-apps/43855/zite-for-ipad-review

The Week Day
Finding factual and concise news is difficult these days. The Week Day had two daily editions: one in the morning and another in the evening. Each edition comprised of ten pages, although some pages would have multiple stories. It meant that you could keep up to date with events without taking up a lot of time.

They still offer a daily newsletter, but the experience isn’t as good as it was with the iPad app.
https://theweek.com/66593/the-weekday-now-on-ipad-a-free-daily-news-app-from-the-week

Songza
This is a bit more tentative, but I do remember using and enjoying this app for discovering new music. I had to use it with a VPN because it wasn’t officially available in my country.

Songza was purchased by Google.

So, what apps do you miss?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
There was also an excellent free video magazine app (no ads or in-app purchases) with various subjects you could select with interesting (5-10 minute) videos in a really high quality UI. Unfortunately they were taken over at a certain point I think and the app didn't came back. I can't think of the name anymore. I thought it was a Dutch developer but not certain.

MixRadio - excellent music (smartradio) mixes of various tracks, no ads and option to listen to 4 offline mixes. Originally on on Nokia devices but at a certain point it was brought to iOS and Android.

PayaPaya - a Puyo Puyo clone since I couldn't play the official one on iOS/iPadOS since that was only available in Japan. Recently SEGA did release again an official Puyo Puyo Puzzle Pop game but unfortunately not pay once but part of Apple Arcade. I'm using it now for another month but probably will stop my subscription.

SEGA Columns Deluxe (featuring Puyo Pop) - Tetris and Puyo Puyo in one app and it was pay once.

Alpine Racer - experience skiing downhill as you did in the arcade hall.

The Settlers - the classic game

Rise of Lost Empires - Warcraft classic clone by Gameloft

Ridge Racer series (2 different games)

Time Crisis series (2 different games)

Ragdoll Blaster

Reactions: AJB1971

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
There was also an excellent free video magazine app (no ads or in-app purchases) with various subjects you could select with interesting (5-10 minute) videos in a really high quality UI. Unfortunately they were taken over at a certain point I think and the app didn't came back. I can't think of the name anymore. I thought it was a Dutch developer but not certain.

MixRadio - excellent music (smartradio) mixes of various tracks, no ads and option to listen to 4 offline mixes. Originally on on Nokia devices but at a certain point it was brought to iOS and Android.

PayaPaya - a Puyo Puyo clone since I couldn't play the official one on iOS/iPadOS since that was only available in Japan. Recently SEGA did release again an official Puyo Puyo Puzzle Pop game but unfortunately not pay once but part of Apple Arcade. I'm using it now for another month but probably will stop my subscription.

SEGA Columns Deluxe (featuring Puyo Pop) - Tetris and Puyo Puyo in one app and it was pay once.

Alpine Racer - experience skiing downhill as you did in the arcade hall.

The Settlers - the classic game

Rise of Lost Empires - Warcraft classic clone by Gameloft

Ridge Racer series (2 different games)

Time Crisis series (2 different games)

Ragdoll Blaster
I don't remember this, but a search has revealed a video app called Hyper, which fits your description.

It does sound like an app that I would have liked. I favour a curated experience—one that reduces information overload.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Two of my favorite apps that were “discontinued” per se are as follows:

1. Tweetbot — Twitter client that I used on a daily basis until Musk essentially killed third party apps off for Twitter, X, whatever you want to call it. I barely even go on Twitter anymore since Tweetbot was killed off.
  2. Apollo — Reddit client. Similar to Tweetbot, this app met its unfortunate demise due to its greedy CEO. While I mostly use Narwhal 2 to access Reddit, it does not compare to Apollo and it’s UI, customization and overall experience.

Reactions: pacorob and AJB1971

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Two of my favorite apps that were “discontinued” per se are as follows:

1. Tweetbot — Twitter client that I used on a daily basis until Musk essentially killed third party apps off for Twitter, X, whatever you want to call it. I barely even go on Twitter anymore since Tweetbot was killed off.
  2. Apollo — Reddit client. Similar to Tweetbot, this app met its unfortunate demise due to its greedy CEO. While I mostly use Narwhal 2 to access Reddit, it does not compare to Apollo and it’s UI, customization and overall experience.
Ofcourse how could I forget our recently lost Tweetbot and Apollo caused by the owners to kill the API or charge insane amount of money for it.

I don't remember this, but a search has revealed a video app called Hyper, which fits your description.

It does sound like an app that I would have liked. I favour a curated experience—one that reduces information overload.
Yes I think that is the one. I unfortunately can't see it anymore in my app history.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

I'm now using my iPad and iPhone apps Newsify, feeeed,
These both support your own RSS feeds and also support YouTube video feeds/accounts (add manually though in Newsify, in feeeed you can search in Subscribe tab).
Also the videos need to be tapped in the overview and only then the video opens instead of only showing the video and e.g. title. I've contacted both developers if they could support this. Also feeeed lacks a magazine kind of layout which Newsify does have.

There are also Rheo and DipClip which only support YouTube video where you can set certain accounts (DipClip). Dipclip however doesn't have iPad support and seems to focus on snippets of videos (not my preference). Rheo just shows one video based on mood and videos don't start playing at all or right away so feels buggy. It also hasn't been updated since June 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
These both support your own RSS feeds and also support YouTube video feeds/accounts (add manually though).
Also the videos need to be tapped in the overview and only then the video opens instead of only showing the video and e.g. title. I've contacted both developers if they could support this. Also feeeed lacks a magazine kind of layout which Newsify does have.

There are also Rheo and DipClip which only support YouTube video where you can set certain accounts (DipClip). Dipclip however doesn't have iPad support and seems to focus on snippets of videos (not my preference). Rheo just shows one video based on mood and videos don't start playing at all or right away so feels buggy. It also hasn't been updated since June 2022.

The app feeeed looks excellent. Thanks.

Reactions: pacorob

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Zite
Zite was a content discovery app. You selected your interests, and the app would find relevant content. Unlike similar apps, it felt like you were getting a curated experience.
Saw the headline and immediately thought of Zite.

I miss Apollo also.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
These both support your own RSS feeds and also support YouTube video feeds/accounts (add manually though in Newsify, in feeeed you can search in Subscribe tab).
I use News Explorer for my RSS feeds, and that works fine with YouTube as well (Mr.Reader was another app that I missed for a long time).

It’s the curated aspect of an app like Hyper that appeals to me. That’s what I liked about Zite. I just don’t get the same feeling from the Apple News app. And the Google News app demonstrates why the internet these days is such a mess.

Reactions: max2 and pacorob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.