What apps have you seen iAds already?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by xxxsteveoxxx, Jul 1, 2010.

1. xxxsteveoxxx macrumors member

xxxsteveoxxx

reports of iads popping up but no news on which apps have them

2. Briview macrumors regular

I have a paid app that is now free, called Stock Market Millionaire, with a virtual portfolio that runs real-time data... it supports and features iAds.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So you paid for an app and it now bothers you with iAds because it's currently free?

4. Briview macrumors regular

Well, the app was $2.99, but it has been on sale for a month or so, for free. Technically, the iAds are there, and I can opt out of them at anytime (oo.apple.com) but I don't want to... since I want to learn more about Apple's techniques in marketing, as well as experience iAds in person. So functionally, there is no "bothering" done, when I can easily remove it, but yes... I did pay for the app, but it is currently free.

5. quotison macrumors member

My understanding is that you can't opt-out of iAds - when you go to that page, you're just opting out of iAds using your personal data to serve specific ads intended to be more relevant to you.

6. Briview macrumors regular

I see... so you mean the iAd, now opted out of, would be replaced with tailored AdMob/MobClix banner replacements?

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I just noticed in the dictionary.com app it has iad now

8. Briview macrumors regular

I don't think that's an iAd. The iAds have an iAd text embedded on the lower-right hand corner... this ad has a huge lower-case g, probably some Google affiliation.

9. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

No you still get iAds but they won't be as personalised.

10. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

your paid-for app now has an iad?

or you (re)downloaded the free version with the iad?

11. Briview macrumors regular

Uhh... kind of blend the two.

My paid-for app is now free... and features an iAd. No free version was available back then... but now, the app itself has become free.

12. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Are iAds only in apps or can the be embedded in websites?

Are iAds only in apps or can they be embedded in websites?

13. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Only in apps.

Is anyone seeing anything other than the nissan ad?

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Dog Whistler has a mix of iAds and Admob ads. When I open it, it's either the Nissan iAd or one of a series of location-specific Admob ads.

15. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

The free flashlight app is iad supported.
    I saw one about soap, how the hell were they able to tell that I need to shower. ?! :)

16. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

17. SCOfoshO macrumors member

so what exactly are iAds? just pop up advertisements on certain free apps? If so, thats kind of annoying isn't it?

18. synagence macrumors 6502a

iAd's are like any other banner ad, but when you click it, rather than dropping you out into the browser it plays within the app and has a little (X) button to kill it anytime and you're still in your app...

They're also meant to be more interactive and are HTML5 based....

On the other poster about paid app becoming free .... i'd kinda be a bit irritated if a dev changed an app i'd paid cash out for suddenly make the same one free and ad-supported .... i would hope they make a 2nd 'free' version ... or do what Twitteriffic does and make the ad's go away if you pay for the app..

We'll see how this plays out

19. Briview macrumors regular

Tell me about it! ;)

It was $3 and two years ago, so I think I made a fair amount of use for it before the iOS4's release. Ever since then, I guess the dev decided to make money out of iAds since not enough peeps were buying his app (or rather... too many jailbreaking and downloading it perhaps).

Either way... oh well. Such is life! :rolleyes:

BTW, to further add on to this topic, iAd-supported Tiptitude (the free version) is supposed to feature the banners, but I've downloaded the app and didn't see any.

20. impactdni macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm the developer of Stock Market Millionaire (saw this pop up on Google Alerts), and just wanted to clear up what I saw :)

Stock Market Millionaire recently switched to iAd supported when iOS4 was released, however before that, it was still free. Previous to iOS4, we were running ads from the Google Adsense beta, but we've always been free (and always will) :)

21. Briview macrumors regular

:eek:

You're right! My apologies... I have totally confused the app that I was indicating with Stock Market Millionaire. I just went to iTunes noticed the App Store receipt too, which is dated March 18th and is free for this app (v1.0.0).

Please do disregard what I said earlier. It applied to a different app, and I was simultaneously using Stock Market Millionaire when typing up my first post, which led me to begin the mistake.

22. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

One of the the free Flashlight apps supports iAd's. Right now, I'm experiencing my first iAd - the Nissan ad at WWDC.

23. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

24. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

I've never seen people so excited about getting ads lol.

25. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I was thinking the same thing. I saw my first iAd yesterday and I have to say they're a lot easier to handle compared to standard ads. The Nissan Leaf ad is informative without being annoying.

1337PWN (displays Xbox Live friends list status) is another app featuring iAds.