All iPads What apps live in your Dock? Why? How do they reflect your iPad use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by east85, Apr 25, 2014.

1. east85, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Mod note: feel free to move this to iPad Applications (or wherever) if you feel it is appropriate. I only created this here because I think non iPad optimized apps might pop up and general use might fall under general discussion. Thanks.

What apps live in your dock?

Right now I have four items in my Dock which I'll go over, from left to right:

Hangouts:
    This is my (mostly) unified chat client and phone. With Hangouts I can make or receive phone calls with my Google Voice number and text or video chat with my friends and professional contacts in one place. I spend a lot of time using this app. Once SMS integration comes to Hangouts it will be truly unified.

AirBridge:
    AirBidge allows me to copy and paste text and videos from my Mac to my iPad and visa versa easily. While this is a pretty simple utility I find that I use it much more than I originally thought I would after downloading it. It's extremely useful for odds and ends.

Mail (Native):
    Despite using the native Mail client I have reached inbox zero. For me it accomplishes what I need it to do in a pretty efficient flow. I've tried Mailbox but really couldn't get into how it doesn't manage my folders and promotes procrastination. As it stands I still rely on email for a lot of important things so it's more than essential that I have quick access.

Safari:
    I'm locked in with Safari. To be honest I've really managed to get used to advertisements. On my MacBook I had always used add ons like adblock so the change was sort of painful at first but most websites I visit are pretty non obtrusive. Keychain access in Safari is also essential for how I've set up my passwords. I'm one of the few people that prefer browsing the actual internet instead of interfacing a service via app in most cases.

I think this reflects my approach with using iPad, in that I'm utilizing it in equal parts for productivity, entertainment and communication.

You don't have to go into detail like I have but definitely feel free to share what apps live in your dock! :apple: :)

2. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Safari, Gmail, iMessage, folder of MS office (word, excel, PowerPoint) and Xiami music

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Safari, iPhoto, Mail, Evernote, BusyCal 2, OmniFocus, DayOne, Quicken Essentials, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, and Maps.

4. Night Spring, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Safari, Mail, Music, Productivity folder, "Texts" folder, Settings.

The productivity folder contains my most used productivity apps, and the Texts folder contains my ebook apps, news reader apps, and iMessage.

What? All that can't fit into the dock -- the dock has space for only six icons. Do you have some of those organized into folders like I do?

5. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Settings, app store, itunes, safari, video and music are on the dock area. Apps I never use and can't uninstall, such as facetime, mail, messages etc are in a folder labeled crap apps. Other apps such as games books etc in separate folders marked as such.

6. ssgbryan macrumors 6502

ssgbryan

Kindle, :apple: remote, Acrobat Reader, Pandora, Weather app, Safari.

90% of what I do with my iPad, in that order.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

I choose : settings , safari , mail and a folder with links to forum sites I use.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Safari, mail, music, videos, messages and TU go (app that allows me to make and receive calls and send and receive text messages).

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Is love to use Tugo but unfortunately I'm on payg.

10. yinz macrumors 6502a

Flipboard, mail, safari, setting. I Like to have access to settings easily.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have the default apps, the way the phone came. That's the way I have kept it since the original iPhone.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Mail (native), ComicGlass, Marvin (ebook reader), Safari, Chrome

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Safari, Mail, Photos, "Social" folder with iMessage Facebook etc, "Productivity" folder with notability dropbox notes etc, "Office 365" folder with office for iPad OWA OneDrive etc.

14. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

DayOne, Safari, Mail, Facebook, App Store & Settings. The ones I use the most.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My iPad has:
    Safari, Mail, iBooks, FileMaker Go and Music.

These are the apps I use the most so they go there.

16. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

My mistake, I thought it was the Mac Dock they were asking about, my iPad dock is as follows:
    Calendar, OmniFocus, Mail, MS Office(Folder), Safari, Settings.
    MS Office folder has, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, One Note, OneDrive, Bing for iPad, OWA, Lync

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Safari, Mail, Settings, Messages.

My phone is similar.

Phone, Mail, Safari, Messages

18. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

Facetime/messages/safari/music
    to reflect my iPhone! :D (FaceTime switched with phone)

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

20. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Safari, Mail, iBooks, Tweetbot, Videos, Music.

21. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Safari, Mail, Twitter (waiting on Tweetbot 3 for iPad), flow (Instagram app), Facebook (probably going to be removed soon), Alien Blue

22. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Feel like I kind of wasted that writeup but I switched my dock today to take advantage of the 6 app limit. Folders in the dock would probably rub me the wrong way idk.

[​IMG]

My dock is now pretty much owned by Google but I'll never give up Safari.

I've switched my main mail app with Gmail because it's much easier to manage.

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Evernote - Lecture handouts, pieces from reference newsletters I get every month along with copies of the articles, and a few videos.

Cubasis - My DAW of choice. I use other iOS apps in conjunction with it. Currently am scoring this semester's project with it.

Noteshelf - I have a few notebooks (Ex. One is where I keep my storyboards). Mostly do just a lot of copy and paste of stuff I draw in Sketchbook Ink, and then add text.

Writer Pro - Word Processor. Everyone hates it, but I love it and like the different stages.

Sketchbook Ink - Where I do my sketches, I like the simplicity of it compared to Sketchbook Pro.

Verto Studio - A fun 3D modeler. Very simple, but still cool to do simple stuff in.

24. dazed macrumors 6502a

25. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Music, videos, safari, mail, App Store, settings