What apps/tools do you use for your business?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gabicava83, Dec 25, 2010.

1. gabicava83 macrumors regular

Hi People,

Hope you are enjoying your Christmas !!!

I will be starting my own business soon, providing various IT aspects for the SME market (up to 100 employees) anything ranging from technical support, to SEO and basic web design / development, including branding.

Just wondering what tools you use for your business and how you are getting on with them, could be apple apps or online tools.

Normally, I am a Windows guy for "business" but only because I use MS for servers and so on.

Any info, really helpful.

This is what I have so far;

Freshbooks for accounting
    Basecamp for project management
    Evernote for receipts/ideas/snips of text
    Drop box for backup / online storage of documents
    Quicksilver

Thanks in advanced,

G.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

You might want to check out Daylite for keeping track of appointments, projects, contacts, to-dos, notes, etc. Studiometry as well- both have demos.

I think you'll find Evernote a bit limited, at least we did.

3. gabicava83 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for replying, daylite looks very good, I will look into that.

Please can you elaborate on the limitations that you found and what alternative you used?

Thanks again for your reply.

G.

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It seemed very basic and limited...I like my notes to not be separate from everything else, but in the same app as my project management, tasks, to-do, appointments, etc.

Daylite and Studiometry let you do all of this in one app. You can have just a general free-floating note, a note that is linked to a project, note that is linked to a project and contact, note that is part of a task in a project, etc.

We found it a bit disorganized using lots of different apps or services to accomplish what works better in one. Especially when you later need to search for something...it's a hassle to have to search in each online service or each app for stuff related to the same concept or idea.

And if you need syncing with a mobile device or another computer, you can do that too.

Both Daylite and Studiometry are great apps and I think either one can be must-haves for certain small businesses.

5. gabicava83 thread starter macrumors regular

That is excellent, great feedback there.

I will look into this, and test it out.

I presume for backups, you simply backup the DB?

How does it work when you have 3 or 4 people on different machines, is there a centralised DB?

Thanks very much,

G.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Daylite and Studiometry can run either as a server with a central DB and multiple clients or as a completely separate single-user app. FWIW, there's also a Windows version of Studiometry but I haven't used that.

And yeah, you just backup the DB. Daylite is actually using postgresql for that...don't know what Studiometry uses.