What apps use GPS other than mapping?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jreuschl, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I am getting an iPad 2 this Friday and I'm wondering what apps would utilize GPS, not including the obvious mapping ones?

I have tethering through my Android phone, so that is why I am asking. Would an astronomy app like Star Walk work better with GPS? Anything else?

I know some would need location info but do not need exact GPS location.

Thanks!

2. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Foursquare would be better with it, Yelp, any app that searches your location as part of it's results. It's worth it even if you don't activate the data it will still use the 3G signal for triangulation.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

GPS combined with the now included gyroscopes are going to make Starwalk awesome.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

To clarify -- although Assisted-GPS will use the 3G info to hasten the GPS received in getting a fix, don't be confused and think that it only does cell-site triangulation. The ipad1 (and presumably ipad2) 3G models contain a real GPS chip, the Broadcomm BCM4750, and GPS antenna.

See http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-3G-Teardown/2374/2

What is valid though is the GPS will function without a data plan. Obviously if away from wifi any GPS app will need to have local data stored, such as is done by a number of GPS Navigation apps.