What are all the benefits a beter grahics provide?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ptjh, Oct 18, 2008.

1. ptjh macrumors regular

Is it mainly for games? or/and graphic designers?

Or

Does it also improve the quality on your laptop for

Watching DVDs
    Viewing Photo's
    The general look of things
    Driving/Hooking up external monitors

+
    Help / Hinder your Clock speed / Free up RAM?

Is a 256 fine or is the 512 alot better for the latter things mentioned? I don't do much grapgic design but do some photo editing and watch alot of DVDs . I may also hook up a big monitor in the future. I do not intent to play games but will use it for pro audio work.

512 MB worth it or 256 MB still very good? Does it make a difference for my use?

2. sk47 macrumors member

yes the things you listed will benefit from a better graphics card. Anything visual-related, from watching movies, to viewing pics, to powering a 30-inch monitor, will be enhanced by better gfx card.

3. Aniki macrumors regular

Well. It's only useful for final cut studio pro, or running games like crysis. If your gonna use logic, watch movies, play some casual games like WoW, spore, etc. Get regular macbook. If not, get pro.

4. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Two contradictory views...I won't ever play games on it (I have a Wii & Xbox 360). I won't get a MB due to lack of firewire and my preference for a 15" screen.

It's either the entry level MB pro or the more expensive ones (possibly with 2.8GHz if I'm spending so much I may as well get somethign that'll last). Will a better graphics card use up my CPU more?

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

For your uses, I'd get a base MBP. The difference between 2.4/2.8GHz and 256/512MB VRAM will be pretty marginal for a casual user.

GPUs don't "use up" your CPU. They're dedicated processors that offload graphical computations that would otherwise be done by the main CPU (which is not as efficient at this type of task).

The GPUs in the new MBPs are all the same (as in same GPU chipset, 9400M/9600M GT combo), with the only difference being the amount of dedicated RAM. More dedicated video RAM can improve the performance of applications that heavily rely on the GPU (games, Core Image applications, etc.). But again, you're describing what is mostly casual use and you probably won't see much of a real world difference in performance.

6. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

I think you may be right but I do keep laptops for a few years (my current on is 3 1/2 years old. The plugins & soft synths are pretty heavy though! Saying that alot of MBP only users seem to get by. Roll on quad core laptops. Then the Mac Pro won't even be a consideration for me.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, I'm not necessarily recommending against the idea of buying a faster machine as a BTO. I usually buy faster than base because I'm a video production professional and sometimes have to render on the road.

If this will be your only computer and you want to keep it for 3+ years, a higher-end model might make more sense because you can only really upgrade memory on a MBP.

8. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

It will be my only machine - desktop replacement. I'd have an mac pro and a low end macbook pro in a perfect world but i'm an academic at the momement. It's interesting but all I really love is music!

9. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

You think pro audio work = casual user or were you referring to me as a casual graphics card user (which makes more sense)? Noramally I need as much CPU as I can for softsynths ect.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

11. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Not an option. I need firewire & want a 15" screen. The MB screens look bad from different viewing angles.

Do you recon a 256 vs a 512 graphics card won't make any difference for DVD playback or on an eternal monitor?

12. Jonny427 macrumors regular

It won't make any noticable difference. Just get the base model and save $400.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not really.

14. davez82 macrumors newbie

photoshop 4 will also be gpu based, people are forgetting.