What are cachemanager files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by navaira, Nov 14, 2015.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Hi all,

I have an SSD drive. I moved my home folder to the HDD. The SSD drive still has empty folders like Desktop, Documents etc., and a folder called [myusername]_2812756333. In this folder I have 403 files called *lotsofnumbers*.cachemanager. What are those files and can I delete them? (The SSD is only 120 GB, with 9 GB free, those files take 5 GB) Google hasn't given me any sensible answer...

Thanks in advance!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It's nothing that OS X, or any usual OS X app creates.
    From googling, it appears to be some results from using the Cache Manager app, from github, and seems to be something created for use during programming for Linux or Windows, and not really anything that should be important for you to keep. (Something called Caches, or similar can almost always go away. If they are needed, software will just create them again)

Copy the folder off to some other external storage, then make sure you delete the folder from your SSD, so it is gone from that.
    Use your Mac for whatever you usually do (gaming, I guess ??)
    Watch to see if something complains about the missing files.

3. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Hm, I don't have Cache Manager. I also found that in Google. Spotlight search doesn't show Cache Manager either. I'm going to copy to HDD, delete and hope for no explosions :p

I don't do any gaming, Adobe suite + music software (some of which is not working right now...) + usual office/browsing/mail/iTunes etc. I wonder where those files come from!

Thanks for the hint!

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You may think that you don't have cache manager, but something that you have uses it, and leaves enormous amounts of cache files. I suspect that you can have that folder open, do your usual work, and watch what you are doing when new files are created (or modified) in that folder.
    I suspect that a new cache manager folder - the one with all the numbers in the name - will be recreated at some point. You could watch for that, if you are interested :D Creation of that folder will then tell you what did that. I wonder if that will be your Adobe software, with the possible need for a scratch drive (just guessing about that)
    Or, maybe the result of your music software that is no longer working.
    Just curious - what software is that?

5. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Interesting! I'm going to watch what happens, yeah. Maybe I can figure out what apps I have open while this is happening.

Cubase doesn't work with El Capitan. Steinberg posted two updates, the first one said they're working on it, the second said "we found more issues, uh, don't use El Capitan, thxbai". 10.11.0 I could open Cubase but couldn't get any sound out of it, 10.11.1 Cubase just crashes.