Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edhut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi all,

I'm seriously planning to buy a MacBook Pro 15" sooner rather than later, but I really would prefer an anti glare display instead of a glossy one. The former MBP generation had this option, but with the current lineup of MBP's only the 17" still has it:mad:. While I don't know Apple's reasoning behind this, I can imagine that this is just due to a production pipeline issue and that the anti-glare option will return for the 15" at some time. Of course this is just guessing and I don't know the full history of the former MBP lineup (and how/when the anti glare option was introduced), but what do you think: will Apple start offering anti-glare anytime soon or will it be an option for the 17"only?

Cheers,
Ed

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Everyone's guess is speculation, but I'd venture to say it's not coming back. Apple seems to be restricting a lot of features to the 17", perhaps in an attempt to push people to that model: matte screen, Expresscard slot, SATA II...

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
well if apple wants all of us lovers of the matte screen to buy the 17inch then they are mad.

also Apple is know for pure ergonomics...superior functionality and superb design...

many years ago Mr Jobs was saying that his notebooks have great design with ports in both sides fool options with various express and firewire and dvi.

7 months ago on the macbooks the firewire just dissapeared...

now is back.
but something else is gone...the express on the 15...

be sure that if,as i do want to hope,they make a 15 matte then we will loose something else.

above all apple is making a big mistake...
with the matte option people like me that have problems with the eyes (myopia) can stay in front of the screen hours without beein tired...

with the glossy the eye/bulbus oculi (having 14 muscles controling the movements of the bulbus) tends to receive more distractions and must adapt every moment a glare appears.
thats why for example me after 2 hours on one iMac i couldn t continue.

so Apple here in fact EXCLUDES people with sight problems.

and the 17inch option is just e joke..
if I m paying 2000E (EUROS for a laptop it must have tha matte option.

end of story._

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
there is always techrestore.com
I don't think that it's coming back.
It's really odd to me, though, b/c I hate hate hate hate the glossy. Actually, check that: Glossy I can actually live with. Glossy, is a whole other level. So I wasn't a glossy hater before yet I still couldn't handle glassy. That's how bad it is.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I hope they have a matte screen again, and I think it depends on how successful the 17" matte MBP is.

But it isn't the glossy screen that bothers me as much as the glass. I wish they had the option of a MBA glassless bezel on the 13" MBP.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I hope they have a matte screen again, and I think it depends on how successful the 17" matte MBP is.

But it isn't the glossy screen that bothers me as much as the glass. I wish they had the option of a MBA glassless bezel on the 13" MBP.

Agreed, the macbook air screen doesn't bother me at all.

edhut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I think I'll head to a store to have a closer look at the bezels and what is actually more irritating, the screen itself or the bezel. This makes me think of the LCD TV's of (e.g.) Samsung and LG, where I cannot get to grips to the glossy black finish around the actual screen. Very irritating (or am I just too sensitive :))

Ed

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Itll be back, theres no way that there will be nothing but glassy forever. I just despise the glass for how easy it breaks, Its a little more forgiving when dropping a matte.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I thought it's going to take a while before matte screens are back in 15" models, so I decided to get myself the newest possible 15" with matte screen (Early 2008) and I'm loving it :)

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I'm going to guess 65/35.

But that's just a guess, just like every other post on this thread.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Itll be back, theres no way that there will be nothing but glassy forever. I just despise the glass for how easy it breaks, Its a little more forgiving when dropping a matte.

Have you dropped both? I thought matte screens still had glass inside them that could break.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
I think the glossy screen is here to stay, although they might add an anti-glare option.

Having used a matte screen in the past on a laptop, the colors were horrible, faded and lifeless. As long as you’re not directly behind the sun, it’s not a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.