Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Like most of you I paid for the iPhone 6S Plus outright from Apple. The only option there was (the night of the pre order on the 12th) was the T-mobile non-contract iPhone. Is there a difference between this phone and the one you'd get from ATT? (I use ATT not T-mobile) Just wanted to ask.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
AT&T models cover this band which the others don't: 30 (2300 MHz)
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

finally got your question..

Both phone would be unlocked if you paid the full price but the model would be different, as stated in the link above. Why pay the same money for the T-Mobile device when the AT&T model gives you everything T-Mobile does plus one more band coverage?

Last edited:

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
The AT&T model covers one extra bad that should help quite a bit for AT&T users living in urban areas. Not many phones support that band yet, which means that the AT&T iPhone 6s should get great reception. As far as I know, the TMobile model does not support this awesome awesome band. :eek:

mhunter6378

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
According to Apple's web page listing LTE bands by model, the T Mobile versions (A1687 & A1688) lack band 30 while the AT&T versions (A1633 & A1634) have band 30. Otherwise they appear to be the same. I purchased the AT&T version at full price through Apple. When I received it I connected to iTunes upon unboxing to do a new setup and update to 9.0.1 so I could restore from my iP6 backup and when I did I received the "Congratulations you're unlocked" screen. Wasn't expecting that and figured I'd have to request it through AT&T but got it straight away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.