what are (feature) limitations of contract-free Iphone 4 - need help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IndianGuy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

I am pondering to get iphone 4 contract-free (699-799) and wondering what are feature limitations?

I would love to,

1. use it with T-mobile pay-as-you-go plan
    2. be able to use all iphone 4 features (facetime! over wi-fi)
    3. use GPS for nav apps etc (not sure if this requires data plan - possibly depends on specific app)

Thanks!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

They'll all work fine but you'll need a sim card to activate the phone. Once you've done that, you're all set to do anything any other iPhone 4 can do (except visual voicemail, which is carrier-specific).

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

That, and due to differences in frequencies, you will be limited to EDGE speeds.

4. IndianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Thanks - yes, understood - and I think its fine as I mostly in Wi-Fi zone

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

For that price I'd consider a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada or another country that sells them. Contract-free just means you're not gonna get an ETF if you cancel service--but not necessarily unlocked. Obviously, you can jailbreak/unlock the iPhone yourself but that's a far less convenient solution.

6. IndianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Sorrry dumb question - how do I get iphone 4 from Canada - would apple online store Canada ship to US address?

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

No, you'd have to actually go to an Applestore in Canada to get one in person. Ebay sometimes has a few. Montreal is great this time of year. :)

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

I didn't post that because I wasn't sure which country the OP is in. Here in the UK any contract free iPhone will give you 3G speeds on T-Mobile (and any other UK carrier).