What are Fun Things to Download on the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iChrisG, Jul 11, 2008.

1. iChrisG macrumors member

Hello! I'm getting a 2.66 GHz iMac in a few weeks, and I want to know what are some fun things to download.

I already know I want to download:

Skitch

What else?

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Go check out the widgets at apple.com there's tons of stuff for your dashboard that probably fits into the "fun" category.

I myself use my mac for work, web, email, and chat. So as far as fun goes, I don't play many games or anything like that. Using it for work makes my day go much faster than on a PC though. I tend to focus more. Congrats on your new purchase.

3. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

4. iMacNoob macrumors member

why do you suppose your more productive on the Mac?

Does it make things seem for formal/professional?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The good news is that this subject has been discussed repeatedly in several threads, so there's a good chance you'll find all the information you want by searching the forums to see what has already been discussed. MacRumors Guides are also a great resource. If you don't find your answer there, let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

If you search the forums, you'll find recommendations of links like this.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I think the UI is just so far superior to Windows that using a computer becomes less frustrating and thus increased productivity prevails. It's just more "fun" if that makes sense.

I've also read some UI studies by independent firm Pfiefer consulting about User Interface Friction... Here's an excerpt from http://www.pfeifferreport.com/trends/Vista_UIF_Rep.pdf

"The most preoccupying results of these benchmarks concerned mouse precision and efficiency: in these benchmarks (which measure both the time necessary to complete a series of precision tasks and the number of errors), Windows Vista scored significantly worse than Windows XP.

With a total of 33 errors, Windows Vista scored a Mouse Precision Error Coefficient of 0.52, compared with 0.40 for Windows XP and 0.08 for Mac OS X" ... "Creative Professionals in particular should take note that Windows Vista is a clear step backwards in terms of mouse precision, and it is likely that this problem contributed to the poor results in the other UI Friction benchmarks"

Yea...