What are genius mixes based on?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobgorila, Sep 10, 2009.

1. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

My genius mixes are a little samey - there's 8 "rock" mixes, then one each of alternative, electronic, dance and indie. I figured it was using the (very inconsistent) local genre tags - songs mostly set to "rock" if anything, or labeled with crap like "electro indie hop" and "smoker's delight".

A little rummaging around later and while I've not delved into the massive body of "rock" to see if it's all actually rock, there's now at least as much stuff labeled "alternative", and way more electronic than there was.

Re-submitted to iTunes... but the configuration of the genius mixes remains unchanged.

Maybe I need to dive into the ~25% of my library that's set to rock and thin it out before I'll see any change, but maybe it's not using local tags? If not, what does it use? A song fingerprint? Does the iTunes store keep data like Pandora does about a song's use of rhythmic syncopation and extensive vamping?

Either way, I've caught the OCD genre organising bug now, so if anyone knows a tool that'll tag my music collection with something sensible then that'd be good. I tried musicbrainz's Picard app , but it doesn't seem to populate genre.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I was under the impression that Apple themselves now have a database of all the information for 'a lot' of music. In this database it knows what music goes well together and what does not.

I have not explained myself very well I know, but I hope that makes sense.

3. stu212 macrumors member

So far mine has been alright, i wish i could get some for gangsta rap haha its all pretty generic just now, Punk, Rock, Alternative and Hip-Hop.

4. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I've noticed that none of the genius mixes that it made from my library had any Beatles content. I have the new remixes that I just bought, ripped and put into my library prior to loading in iTunes 9. Then when I turned on the feature it went through my library to make the different mixes...and so far I haven't seen any that have any of the Beatles albums on it.

Are these genius mixes limited to what is available on iTunes?

5. UKPirate macrumors newbie

I would say that's just coincidence. I bet if you right click a Beatles song and ask it to start Genius, it's still able to find similar music. I know mine does.

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

7. bobgorila thread starter macrumors member

bobgorila

You don't, as best I can tell.

If your library has changed then there's something in one of the menus to resubmit your library to iTunes for genius analysis, but that's it.

8. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Thanks - I had a feeling that might be the case.

9. bobgorila thread starter macrumors member

bobgorila

So nobody's heard of or seen an app that can automatically assign sensible genre tags to songs?
    :(