What are good AGP Video cards for PM G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OrangeSVTguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So what are the top AGP video cards? Either being a Mac or PC that I could flash with a Mac Rom. What are the better choices that I have?

I used to use flashed PC cards of 9800 Pro for my G4s but figured there are better cards for the G5. I do prefer to get PC cards since they are cheaper and I can flash them. Thanks.

*Edited*
    I edited this post/title as I thought my video card was a PCI-X and not AGP:p

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Go here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/video/ and select G5 and then work out which model it is you have and you can see what cards are available. You can't flash PC cards to work with PowerPC Macs. You may be able to find a Mac one on eBay once you know what exactly to look for though.

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Thanks for that link!
    I've flashed quite a few of ATI cards for my G4 powermacs. Was a lot cheaper that way and they still functioned 100%. Also got a little profit when I had to sell them too :D

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The one time I don't add a disclaimer that I wasn't 100% sure, go figure. :p

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

There are no PCI-X video cards. There were perhaps 1 or 2, but nothing with mac support. You are thinking of PCI and PCI-Express (PCI-E).

Your model of G5 is AGP based for graphics cards. You can check here for roms for PC AGP cards to flash: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

I believe you would need a reduced rom as most cards came with 64K eeproms when the mac cards came with 128K. Good Luck!

6. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Ok I just thought that I had a different slot in my G5 because my AGP video card from my G4 would not fit in the slot so I thought it was a different slot, ie PCI-X. I guess PCI-X just refers to my other 3 empty slots and after reading more, are really just PCI slots. No wonder why my searches reply with no results :p.

Guess I should update my OP's title then huh :confused:

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I believe your issue is with the different versions of agp. Your g5 has agp 8x where the g4 has agp 4x. They have slightly different connectors.