what are good car audio iphone ready decks?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iMaconApple, Jan 2, 2010.

1. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

ok im looking to replace my old car audio its good but i dont use CDs anymore..what are some good iphone/ipod ready car audio deck that dont have a CD player and will work with my iphone 3GS also charge it at the same time..im looking for something under 200$ and has good features EQ pre sets SUB controls ect..

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I've got my eye on this beastie:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-MP642U

Won't be able to order it for another week or so, but I saw it in action and was really impressed. I've done enough research that I can probably answer a lot of questions you might have, though, and I'll keep you posted once I get it!

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

OK, at the urging of the fellow at the stereo shop, I went with this one instead:

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028473&pathId=142&page=3

I have a 3G Touch, but the documentation indicates full compatibility with the iPhone as well. Anyway, I can't really recommend it enough. It's got two USB ports, to which you can connect a standard iPod sync/charge cable, which both charges the iPod and sends the audio into the stereo. You can control the iPod directly from the deck, although you can also configure it to let you use the interface on the iPod itself instead if you prefer.

It includes a Bluetooth dongle (which takes up one of your USB ports) for both audio streaming and speakerphone capabilities—it will pair with your phone and allow you to make and answer calls through the car's speakers (and the included mic). There are also a few random other features like customising the colour of the display (which is actually vaguely useful, as you can configure it to use different colours during night and day) and the ability to play files stored on a USB flash drive plugged into one of the ports.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm happy with my older Pioneer head unit. The easiest way to figure out what you want is to go to Crutchfield.com and filter by iPod Compatible and Under $200. Personally I'd go with either Pioneer or Alpine. Kenwood can make some good units but generally they're not the easiest to use and almost all are ugly as sin.

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

My Eclipse CD5030 just arrived yday. I have yet to get it installed. I did alot of research and this was the best I could find for the budget.

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well there are many decks that will play with iPods now, while charging them. The two biggest are probably going to be Pioneer and Alpine. Personally, I'd go with Alpine. They have the best iPod controls, especially if you have several thousand songs on your iPod. Using some of the other decks from Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, etc. will take a long time to scroll through long lists on your iPod using the stereo dial (it doesn't speed up as you continue to scroll like an iPod does). Alpine has qucik jumps where they split up the Alphabet so that buttons 1-6 each jump you to a certain spot in the alphabet making it easier to navigate lists. Also, if you are interested in NO CD player, Alpine makes units specifically for iPods usage. Look into the alpine ida x-100's. These were the first models, and can probably be found for cheap now and will do everthing you want it to. If you want slightly more features (pandora streaming if you have an iphone, hd radio, etc.) look into the newer alpine ida decks, i think new ones were just announced yesterday at CES.