What are good settings for running Windows 7 virtually?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NOSintake, Dec 20, 2009.

1. NOSintake macrumors member

So I know you can go and change settings in just about any VM player, but I was wondering what are good settings to run Windows 7 under. I gave it 40gb of hard drive, 2GB of RAM (out of 4GB, which might lead to my problem), 1 processor, and what ever the default is for just about anything else. The reason I'm asking is because it seems a little sluggish, and not very responsive. I'm not sure if that's because of my specs, VM Fusion, graphics card (9400m) or just running it virtually to begin with.

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

My VMWARE was running 7 very slow so I swapped over to Parallels and it's blazing fast.

3. NOSintake thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to check it out then. Reason I went with VMware is because I kept hearing people say that Parallels wasn't as stable as VMware

4. jetoo macrumors member

I tried fusion v2, it worked fine.
    but then I moved to Parrallels 5, and it's great!
    I just put 1 core, 1gb for Windows 7 32bits and it's fast, i've installed Office 2010 on it, there's no lag.
    The crystal function is awesome.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm running win7 on version 3 of vmware and its very perky. I have 1.5gig of ram allocated and I dedicated the two cpus. What I found surprising is that when I switch over to the host OS, its still very responsive even though I dedicated both cores to vmware.

Over all, vmware has done another great job, providing good performance and rock solid stability.