What are hot corners for?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they are for quickly moving your mouse pointer into a corner with a pre-defined action that you set up in System Prefs. basically instead of triggering Expose with a keyboard command you can do it by moving the pointer into the corner. i love them and can't live without 'em.

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
You just have to make sure you don't inadvertently move your mouse to the corner without noticing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you look at my Expose preference pane, you can see how I use hot corners. Just move my mouse into the corner to activate the features in the pull down menus.

Attachments

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I find the top ones far more likely to be activted accidentally than the bottom ones, especially on my 14" iBook. I only use bottom left to toggle the desktop. Couldn't live without that one.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
I use this all the time on my MBP since I now have the keyboard illumination keys taking up the F9 and F10. I find it faster then the fn plus Fkey.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
Expose, dashoard and quicksilver are why macs will always be superior to pc's. These functions just make everything natural, my life would be so much more complicated and laborious without them.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
JDN said:
Expose, dashoard and quicksilver are why macs will always be superior to pc's.
No. That's why they are superior NOW. Think about what the future has in store...:)

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
I've got screensaver on top left, expose (F9) on top right, desktop (F11) on bottom right and dashboard on bottom left, I didn't use hot corners the first few months, but now I couldn't live withouth them

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Top left is nothing. Top right is desktop, because I usually open the Finder and it's right there. :) Bottom right is Expose, and bottom left is Dashboard. :D

iVersa

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
London, UK
I dont seem to have any use for the corners. The side buttons on my mightymouse activate 'all windows', the clickwheel button activates 'desktop', dashboard is in the dock and I dont use a screensaver.

I used to use them when I took my laptop out and didnt have a mouse though.

I use command and touch a side of my screen to flip spaces in virtuedesktops though.

drumpat01

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2004
Denton, TX
Top left is screensaver, top right is all windows, bottom right is desktop, and bottom left is dashboard. My iBook wouldn't be nearly as usable with out my hot corners turned on.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
For me top left is all windows, top right is desktop. I figure top right for desktop is good since:

A) Most of the time when I want the desktop it's because I want to look at one of my drives, which all start right near the top right anyway, and...

B) How often am I gonna be trying to pull down the menu for the time, anyway?