What are Intuos3 advantages over original Intuos?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by burnhamish, Jan 15, 2008.

1. burnhamish macrumors member

For those very familiar with the Wacom Intuos line of graphics tablets:

I have had a Wacom Intuos 9x12 tablet (USB) for several years, but never seriously used it until now. I will be using it for everything from photo retouching to digital painting with Photoshop and Painter X on a MBP. I get 1024 levels of sensitivity and pen angle detection now (and a 4D mouse), but I can't use new pens designed for the Intuos3.

Are there specific technology or usability advantages the Intuos3 line has over the original Intuos? I could sell mine on eBay and put the money toward a 6x11 Intuos3 (which might be a little less unwieldy), but is it worth it?

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The 3 has buttons on the side so you dont need to have your hand on the keyboard for shortcuts and its widescreen. Other than that they are the same, maybe the 3 has bumped up specs but the original Intuos's specs were already way more than what was needed.

I would get one for the widescreen option only, but I still have an Intuos 1 that works perfectly well and the new drivers allow you to map the active area so it matches your screen's aspect ratio. Wacom made these things last too long.