Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
now the AMIII is discontinued I don't see why apple can't use it as the mac's audio

A few months back I used an Audio Media 3 with the iTunes... well the difference with the mp3 using the regular output and the AMIII is just like from listen tv in a mono tv to listen the same thing from a DVD. Not noise, very accurate sound, clean as hell. Of course you will need to use good speakers (not the round ones).

Yeah, I noticed that straight away, infact CDs sound a lot cleaner and louder listening to them through my audiomedia III through the AUX input on my hifi than the CD player on my hifi does.

It's the fact the mac reads the audio off a CD digitially and then the card has high quality digital to analogue converters with 128 x oversampling and a really clean signal. Obviously it's asmuch the cable's you use to hook it up as the card as far as low noise is concerned but when I got my protools LE system and listened to a CD through the card for the first time it blew me away.

I don't see how apple can't work with digidesign to incorporate the converters and stuff off the card into the motherboard, it would only need some kind of bridge chip so it doesn't require any drivers and then they can add decent audio to the mac that's already proven to be good quality. I'm sure the converters in the mac at present only compares to the ones on £10 bargain basement soundcards you can get for windows. Plus we need that input back.

Also, when I checked the specs of the TiBook's new audio input on the apple site (someone had put a link to a technical document here a while ago), the minijack input has exactly the same dynamic range and signal to noise ratio as the yamaha SW1000XG card, that's more of a GM tone module with audio bolted on but it's still a good card and it's a good sign that apple are at least closing the gap a little between it's built in audio support and the quality you can get from a 3rd party card.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I think the Mac needs a cup holder that can hold bigger cups than what it does at the moment.

Don't get me wrong - it was great that Apple listened to our pleas, and gave us one for the new iMacs, after leaving it out of previous iMac designs in exchange for the toaster-slot (which, by the way, doesn't even TOAST bread! And it was designed for non-standard slices... ...but that's another issue).

But how on earth can I be expected to put my King-Size Slushy into the tiny hole that Apple provide with the current line?

I ask you...

:rolleyes:

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

i think people are tired of hearing criticisms based on misinformation. get your facts striaght before you start proclaiming what macs do and do not have and you will be fine. you will notice everyone else here is adding constructive criticism and not being attacked. you only get attacked when you take an ignorant and agressive tone. if you do not know what the mac has to offer then do not try to tell others what are the problems with the mac. if you have questions take a route similiar to the fellow who started this thread and ask a question in a nonthreatening manner.

don't forget the double standard :rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
i think people are tired of hearing criticisms based on misinformation. get your facts striaght before you start proclaiming what macs do and do not have and you will be fine. you will notice everyone else here is adding constructive criticism and not being attacked. you only get attacked when you take an ignorant and agressive tone. if you do not know what the mac has to offer then do not try to tell others what are the problems with the mac. if you have questions take a route similiar to the fellow who started this thread and ask a question in a nonthreatening manner.

You know, posts like this makes me take back most of my evil thoughts about you. :D I know we both agree to disagree when it comes to browsers, so I have passed on that battle.

Besides, could that guy have selected a worse name to use in a MAC forum site??? :rolleyes: :D

BTW, thanks for putting your 10¢ in on this... :D

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Don't flame me... please

I have switched from the M$ world into the Apple world and have several peripherals that need:

Parallel Port
Serial Port
MIDI Port(s)
Audio Input

I know some of these are old technology, but I have a $1,500 printer that I can't hook up, yet -- haven't found the right adapter -- the only thing is some type of USB to Parallel or Serial.

Talk about problems and delays in communicating information between the components!

Thanks,
Quark

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Don't flame me... please

Originally posted by Quark
I have switched from the M$ world into the Apple world and have several peripherals that need:

Parallel Port
Serial Port
MIDI Port(s)
Audio Input

I know some of these are old technology, but I have a $1,500 printer that I can't hook up, yet -- haven't found the right adapter -- the only thing is some type of USB to Parallel or Serial.

Parallel, and serial ports were replaced with USB. Midi ports are not used all that much any longer except for musical instruments. Audio input was returned to the PowerBook G4 in the last revision, and will probably be making a comeback in the other lines as well. If not, then you can get a USB device, or PCI card to do so.

Which printer do you have that you desire to attach to the Mac?? You probably would be better served by getting a new printer. All printers over the past few years have included USB ports on them, so if your's doesn't have that as well, then it's either ancient (in computer/printer terms), or was very cheap to begin with.

ThinkpadsRule

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2002
Lemon......

In which part of my post did I use misinformation. I told the exact truth in the experiences I have encountered while using a mac. Some times you must read the entire paragraph before you disect and decide to belittle a person. I have ran into many problems while using my powerbook, which in no way relates to your experiences. Macs are not perfect. So read before you decide to jump in and defend a well known agitator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.