What are my options after dropping iphone in water?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bosoxnm3, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bosoxnm3 macrumors member

I have/had a 3GS. My 2 year plan is up in August. I would be eligible for an upgrade in April.

I just dropped it in the water and I am pretty sure that it is shot; I think it short circuited. I am going to try methods I read about but I doubt it would work.

I removed my sim card. Just from reading around apparently, iphone sim cards don't store contact information?

Also, would Apple give me a discounted 3gs or would I have to buy a totally new $600 3gs? Could I just do the early iPhone 4 upgrade for $400?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Best bet would be to bring it to Apple for an out of warranty replacement.
    They will replace it for $200 without renewing your contract with AT&T.
    Be honest and tell them what happened and if you're lucky they might even replace it for free;)
    Good luck.

3. bosoxnm3 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, from doing a little more investigating, apparently Apple offers you a $199 replacement if this happens. If I do go for the $199 replacement, will I still be on my normal upgrade schedule? Would I be able to get the iPhone 5 in the summer for $199 or whatever the price would be with my early upgrade?

4. bosoxnm3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced