What are my options for wall/car charging my touch 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Mazda 3s, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

OK, so I got a 2G iPod touch and none of my wall chargers work. I'm assuming they use Firewire charging which is why I get a little pop up message saying that the the charger can't be used.

Even worse, my $3 auto charger (bought from eBay) that I have been using on iPods for the past four years (including my iPod touch 1G) won't work either. Now I'm stuck.

What chargers can I use now? I need a wall charger and an auto charger.

2. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

3. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

True, but I don't think OP is going to want to spend $37 (+shipping, no doubt) getting his $3 car charger to work.

Problem is, as far as I know, unless the charger's package specifically mentions the Touch gen2, there's no way of knowing whether it will work. I guess the working chargers should also specify 5V as the output (rather than 12V), but I'm not sure if that's always clearly labeled on the package. You could always go to a store like Radio Shack that has a good return policy and might let you try things in the store, and just keep trying all the different kinds until one works.

Edit: I'm pretty sure if the package said it works with the iPhone 3G, that would work, too. Basically, you're going to need to buy new chargers, and you can probably replace both of yours for less than $37.

4. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

Depends on how many he has to replace. And others are making the unit cheaper, though I haven't seen them out yet.

5. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I have a $3 car charger and two $3 wall chargers (one stays at home, one stays in my suitcase).

On a slightly related note, even the USB wall/car chargers on eBay won't work? Do they use firewire charging as well? Because I see tons of them online claiming compatibility with the iPod touch 2G -- or are they lying about compatibility?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=ipod+touch+2g+charger+usb&_sacat=See-All-Categories

6. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

Definitely not an option for you.

7. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

8. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Nice find!

I might be doing the same thing in a bit...

9. Master Debater macrumors member

You should be careful with those types of chargers. There are a bunch of customer reviews for a similar item that say the charger will fry the touch's battery.

10. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

To tell you the truth, I've been using third-party chargers (wall and car) from eBay for just about every mobile phone, iPod, Zune, and Creative Zen that I have ever had. I've never had a problem with frying batteries with any of them.

11. brendangies macrumors newbie

Does the converter support a Bose original sounddock and being able to PLAY music. Or is strictly for charging. Also, they have the dock extender. Is that and option for the iPod Touch Gen 2?

12. tdmom macrumors newbie

13. emilou macrumors newbie

I've just had the same experience: got a car adapter (12V) to USB (5V 0,5A) and it doesn't charge my Touch 2G (but it keeps the charge).
    It seems to me that Apple has crippled the touch charging module:

If I plug it in my PowerBook, system not booted (holding 'alt' (option)key), the Touch will keep its charge but the battery is not charging.
    Once I start MacOS X, the Touch shows the charging icon.
    Conclusion: a driver in the OS is sending an OK code to the touch.

Question: what does a working charger need to send to the iPOD?
    Is there some cabling to do on the USB connector?

My understanding is that USB doen't have any 'intelligent' charging electronics. Just 5Volts 0.5Amps on some pin. The charging intelligent circuitry is included in the Touch.

But maybe it's a protection from Apple to be shure that people are forced to use good quality products that feed the Touch a steady power without spikes or noise?!

Emilou

14. emilou macrumors newbie