What are my options looking like?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BurningWater, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BurningWater, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

BurningWater macrumors newbie

With the coming of the new iPod Touch 5g, I figure I'm long overdue for an update on my iPod touch 2g, especially considering the fact that the back lighting of the screen doesn't work 90% of the time, the sound quality is garbled due to damage from dropping it (what seems to be) hundreds of times, the screen being significantly cracked and so on and so forth..

I'm basically looking for a new PMP (portable media player). I'm mostly a music guy, not really into games or putting videos on devices that much (since they take up so much space), but I like having the options of doing those things if I can. I always like having the option of being able to do anything I could possibly want. Anyway, my iPod 2g was good for the while that it lasted but if there's one thing I can't stand it's iTunes. Over my period of ownership of that device, iTunes has given me so many problems that I'm really not thrilled about having to use it at all. I like Apple products. Some of them at least (like the iPod Touch).. But I'm certainly no fanboy. As a matter of fact, because of my negative experiences, I'm actually trying not to buy another iPod or Apple product in general.

The only problem is, no one seems to be doing it better than Apple. It hurts me to say it because I'm kind of biased against Apple but the iPod Touch is not matched at all in its field. What are my alternatives? Get the non-expandable 8 or 16GB Nexus 7 that wouldn't appear to fit in my pocket properly? Get the Archos player that, from what I've heard, is riddled with bugs? Get the Sony Walkman which is also non-expandable and seems to be WAY off in terms of the actual amount of space you get per GB model type? (Ex: I've heard the 8GB model really only has a little under 5GB of free space. Where did the 3 GBs go?)

Basically, I want to know what my alternatives are. I don't see anything better than the iPod in its field and for its price. I mean, so much is offered for the price and no one else is doing what Apple is doing in terms of price and features so I'm really not sure what to do. Hey, sure, the price isn't a GOOD price in general but it's a GREAT price when you consider everything else you could get. While I am admittedly biased against Apple because of previous negative experiences, I wouldn't mind buying another iPod if there really is nothing better for the price.

2. shoes222 macrumors member

3. BurningWater thread starter macrumors newbie

4. shoes222 macrumors member

Truth be told, spec-wise the new iPod Touch beats this in nearly every conceivable way. However the two things this Galaxy Player has that the iPod Touch does not is a GPS chip and FM Radio.

If you wanted to "escape" the Apple ecosystem and try Android, this is really your only realistic option.

If you're not concerned about apps or taking pictures or other mini-computer features, there are several generic media players you can get for cheap.

5. BurningWater, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

BurningWater thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know what the music quality is like on the SGP? How does it compare with the quality of the iPod Touch? I doubt the sound quality from the 5g will be much different, if different at all, from that of the 4g.

The SGP does look like a good alternative now that I think about it. I really like the idea of an expandable memory slot and while the touch specs might be better, I'm not sure if that matters when you compare iOs to Android. I can't tell you which is better or worse because I've only used iOs and not Android.. But I'm a bit curious to see what it's like. Speed is nice but sometimes speed doesn't always give you the most likeable result. I'll just try to keep an open mind for now :p

Also, the generic music players don't cut it for me anyways. Not enough features and sometimes when I'm on the go I get tired of only listening to music. I like being able to use devices like this for different things.

I really just hate iTunes with a passion. I wouldn't even consider anything but Apple products if it weren't for iTunes, in all honesty.

Edit: After looking around... I can't actually GET the galaxy player anywhere in my area. I live in Canada (Ottawa) and no major retailers even carry it it seems. So iPod it is I guess unless someone has a better suggestion :cool:

6. scarlettsweb13 macrumors member

I have to agree... The Samsung Galaxy Player is THE Android (or perhaps any reasonable) alternative to the iPod Touch. It also depends on what exactly you're looking for. Are you very familiar with Android? If so, check these out also: http://liliputing.com/2011/10/8-android-alternatives-to-apples-ipod-touch.html . Of course, that article is a year old, but I'm sure there are probably updates to those devices. Just to give you an idea... The Samsung Galaxy Player also comes in a 4.0 variety if you are looking for something about the same size as the iPod Touch. Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I thought Amazon sold everything! :)

7. scarlettsweb13 macrumors member

If you're able to buy a galaxy player, they even have a 3.6 one if you want to go that small: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/all-products I love the fact that you can add storage space and I would have chosen the Galaxy Player, but I like to experience a variety of operating systems in my devices. Windows is my preferred computing/laptop device, Android is my preferred phone device, so the iPod Touch will give me the iOS variety. I am also not a fan of Apple especially because of the limits such as iTunes/non-customization etc., but I would like to play around with the new iPod Touch once in a while. It looks great and I would be getting a huge variety of apps this way. Apple, Android, and the new Windows.

8. scarlettsweb13 macrumors member

Now that I'm looking at the players myself, you have me second-guessing too! :( Galaxy Player: Multi-Tasking, FM Radio, GPS, Microsoft office, etc. starting at $129 for 8 GB which could be up to a total of 40 GB with an SD card. Would really make much more sense, but since my phones will always be Samsung, I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about spending so much money on my one ios device. :/

9. BurningWater thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I suppose 1 way for me to look at this is to compare 2nd gen to what's coming out now. How much has Apple improved the device since then? How will the 5g differ from the 2g? I'm sure the difference is huge but I haven't actually had anything better than the 2g since... the 2g. Has iTunes improved since then?

I suppose if I know these things then there's no way I can be disappointed in buying the new iPod.

10. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

When you say "good", what exactly do you mean? Sound quality? Build quality? Size? Weight?

If you're looking for a pure audio experience, have you taken a look at the HiFiMan HM-801? Plays mp3, wav, flac, ape, aac, ogg, wmv files, has removable storage (SD Card), and even has an on board Burr-Brown DAC and OPA627 op-amp. Completely blows away any other PMP on the market in terms of sound quality. However, it's not cheap (about $800).

http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=72

11. scarlettsweb13 macrumors member

There is no reason to be disappointed at all. Apple has improved their iPod Touch a lot. In fact, I feel like the iPod Touch was improved more this year than the iPhone was. 5 MP camera, Siri, retina display (same as iPhone 5), 4" screen, VERY thin/lightweight etc. http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html So it would definitely be a huge step up from your 2nd Generation iPod Touch. iTunes has also changed a lot; they are coming out with a new iTunes by the end of October (perhaps around the time the iPod Touch will be released to stores). However, iTunes is still iTunes and it will always seem like a hassle compared to the devices that you can just drag and drop everything and not have to convert video files to mp4 etc. I think you can also store your items through iCloud, but I have never used it. To me, the negative aspects of getting an iPod Touch compared to another music player is the iTunes limitation, video converting (a big hassle when converting movies), the lack of customization, and the lack of multi-tasking. However, since the iPod Touch will not be my primary device; I think I can live with all of that just to have the ios experience/Apple app store apps along with Android and Windows.

----------

Do you want to have an OS on the music player? If you do not need any apps and only want the device for music or videos only; there are a lot of options out there perhaps with much better sound/storage capabilities.

12. purplesaber macrumors member

You could consider a used Android phone (Galaxy S2 for instance is $200-250 on eBay) or even a new GSM Galaxy Nexus from the Play store for $350. S2 runs ICS and GN runs Jelly Bean (but doesn't have expandable memory).

You don't need a cell plan -- just use it as a media player. They also make great (free) wifi phones, especially if you have a Google Voice number and use an app like Talkatone or GrooveIP. Google Music is pretty darn good -- you can keep 20k files in the cloud, "pin" the ones you want to the device for listening when you're not on wifi, and it will sync happily with iTunes (except for Apple lossless or DRM'd files).

I have an iPhone 4s and an iPad2 so I like iOS too, but Android is great as an alternative and in many ways more customizable if you enjoy playing with and tweaking your device. All the widgets available on Android devices in particular are a step up from iOS. I have a Galaxy Nexus and swap my SIM card back and forth between that and the iPhone 4S (I bought the GN myself -- the iPhone is from work).

13. dthree36 macrumors regular

The Galaxy Player is an interesting option. I actually looked at one the other day. Reasonably priced and love that it has the GPS feature. Only problem with it is that you will need some sort of wifi connection to use Google maps or a stand alone app for true GPS. The other issue that bothers me with this is the fragmentation of the Android OS. But if you are just looking for a music player then this will work.

As for me... I would go with the iPod Touch. Better resale market if you decide its not for you as opposed to the Galaxy Player.

14. scarlettsweb13 macrumors member

The updated Google Maps on Android now has an offline feature that lets you have the map work a whole city offline. Not sure if that would be on the Galaxy Player, though. Also not sure about the GPS functionality; I mean the player does have GPS so if the new Google maps are on there, it should work fine.