What are my options of upgrading

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zenton, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Zenton macrumors member

Hi,

I recently bought a late 2013 27" iMac.

I upgraded the HDD, I got the 1TB Fusion Drive from Apple. I thought the 256GB SSD was going to be too small, and the price of the 512GB one was too much at the time (+500€ extra compared to the FD).

Now I've started to think wether I should have waited a little longer to get the 512GB SSD or not.

I want to buy a compatible SSD and have it installed to my iMac. What are my options? Is it possible to do without voiding warranty?

Can I buy the exact same SSD that Apple uses and have it installed? Where can I buy it?

Big thank you for help!

2. Bear macrumors G3

In order to not void the warranty, you would have to talk to an Apple Authorized Service company and see if they would do it. They can also buy the part from Apple.

A less expensive and easier option would be to buy an SSD and put it in either a USB 3 or Thunderbolt enclosure. It won't be as fast as an internal SSD on your iMac, but it will still be quite fast.

3. Zenton thread starter macrumors member

Okay I will do it.

Could someone link a compatible SSD? I would like to see some prices and compare doing it yourself and voiding warranty vs. letting an authorized service company do it for me.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Samsung XP941s are the blade PCIe SSDs that Apple uses.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are in the US, it will not void your warranty. Of course, your own SSD will not be warrantied by Apple, but installing your own hardware does not automatically void the warranty on the whole iMac under the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

This is not without risk though. Let's say your logic board goes bad. Apple could try and say it went bad because of the SSD you installed. Then you are in a bit of spot trying to prove otherwise.