What are my options when it comes to spreadsheets?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 131215, Dec 24, 2015.

1. 131215, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

131215 macrumors newbie

I am seeking a very fast and minimalist spreadsheet program. I am familiar with Numbers, Excel and LibreOffice, but feel that these are overkill for what I really need.

I just need a simple way to keep track of numbers with simple functions (mostly addition and subtraction, some sorting a-z or by date). This is mostly to keep track of my finances (I prefer the freedom of spreadsheets over applications made specifically for finance tracking).

I don't mind paying a bit for a well-made program, but need it to save in formats that can be easily read by other programs (xls).

So, what are my options?

PS: I should mention that I am aware of Google Sheets and Zoho. I am trying to move away from "the cloud."

2. chscag macrumors 68000

What have you got against Numbers? You can make it as simple or complicated as you desire; and plus the fact that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are a free download from Apple if you have a new Mac. (2013 or later)

3. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can see Excel being overkill and by definition of LibraOffice as it tries to be an alternative to MS Office but Apple's Numbers sounds like a perfect fit. The only thing lower in ability then Numbers is a calculator ;)

5. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Don't they have templates specifically for what you're trying to do for each application listed?

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree. I'm interested to see in what way the OP believes that Numbers is overkill. :confused:

Now that I think of it, the only thing that would be lower in ability would be creating such a table in Pages (it can do calculations). Exporting it however would be less straightforward than using Numbers.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There are also "Tables" and "Mesa" ...

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Probably so, but not what the OP wants. But, like some others, I am puzzled about why a more robust program than really required that does not cost anything is being ruled out.

9. 131215 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll purchase and use Numbers. Seems like the best bet.

10. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

If you have a newer Mac, you already have numbers. The browser version is also available free on iCloud.