What are my options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghall, May 5, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My MacBook Pro's charger port died. The charger itself works fine, I checked it out on a friend's MacBook, and no other charger works with my MacBook Pro. This is a really bad time for this to happen, as I have a lot of work I need to wrap up in the next week and I don't have access to another computer. What are my options?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you take it into a store and see if they can't help you out on the spot?
    Other options, there aren't computers at school, library, public places? I mean, when all else fails if you can only access a windows PC put your docs on a ubs drive and get going. Maybe take a seat in an apple store and do some work. I mean, it beats surfing myspace with the rest of the kids while at the Apple store. :)

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I have a very busy week this week, I'm commuting from one end of RI to the other end every day. I don't have time to stop at an Apple Store, or a library. And a lot of my work involves specific software. Will calling them help any?

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

calling will most likely not help as your DC in port is probably fried, they will just tell you it needs repair. if you have two batteries you could put one to charge when using the other. of course you'll need a friends laptop to charge the batteries.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well I know it's going to need repair, but I can't go without it for more than a day, I have a crap load of stuff to do before I can graduate, and I only have 2 weeks to do it I need ever moment I can get to work on my stuff. I tried explaining this to the Apple support guy, but they said the best they can do is help me out at a genius bar, which means it's going to have to go out for repair which brings me right back to the beginning.

I either need this fixed right on the spot (unlikely) or a replacement (also unlikely), or I'm not going to have everything done that I need for graduation. Is there anyway I can fix the DC port myself?

I am really stressed out right now, in case you couldn't tell. I need a quick fix if I'm going to be able to graduate on time.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry man but really. Many kids go all through high school without the use of their own machine. I don't know if your travels are related to high school but if they're not you're going to have to give something up to use a public computer.
    Also check into a rent-a-center. Ask your parents who must not have a computer of their own for you to use if they can help you rent one for a couple of weeks. It'll be a Dell most likely but it'll be a portable as you seem to need so desperately.
    On a side note, those links in your sig seem to be getting some attention (blogging, facebook, etc). My guess is you have a bit more time on your hands than you think. ;)

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you might just want to bite the bullet and get another laptop. You can always pull the HD out of your current machine and throw it in another one. Or failing that you can pull out the HD and at least get your data off of it.

are you sure the battery isn't to blame? Have you tried pulling the battery out of your friend's laptop and charging it with your machine?

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

see if you can upgrade to pro care and have it repaired at the same time.

Pro care makes you priority, and same day repairs, so spending the $200 and having a working laptop same day may be worth it....

9. lcseds macrumors 6502a

May just need cleaning? Can you Q-tip it with some alcohol? This isn't something that typically goes bad.

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Yeah, it sounds internal...you're going to have to take it in. Sorry :(

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Um....ok. I'm so relieved now. I don't know why, if, or how, but my MBP decided it wanted to work again. Do not ask how, I just left it alone for a couple hours and went out for dinner. When I came back it decided it wanted to work again. :confused:

Can anyone explain this?

12. TaylorB macrumors regular

Thats good that it started working again, thats good, but I would be sure to attempt to figure out a solution to work elsewhere if you don't know how it stopped or how it started working again.

13. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Could something have overheated and needed to cool down? That's happened to this computer before, except the entire thing overheated.

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, now once again it's not working. What the hell is going on?

15. sbf74 macrumors member

Nothing good by the sound of it...... sorry dude :(

16. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Have you taken it to a store yet? Try to control the damage. The machine working/not working spontaneously will only add to the trouble.

17. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Are you taking Drama in school? You seem to have perfected it. :)

I think your only option it to take it to an Apple Store and go from there.

18. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

no charging you mean? if yes, then maybe you have a bad contact either inside on your DC in port or on your magsafe connector. a bad contact could explain why it suddenly start charging again.

19. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Is that something they can fix at the store, or will it have to be sent in for that?

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you can visually look at the magsafe for any obstructions or damage.

another thing you can do is to go to an Authorized Service Center. If they see the problem they'll order you a new part. You should be able to take the computer back until the part arrives (depending on where its being delivered it can take 1-2 days in my experience), at which point the center will call you to bring your computer in.

One benefit of service centers over Apple Stores is that they actually do in-house repairs that are covered under warranty. Apple Stores more than often will send your computer to Texas for 2 weeks because they don't have the skills "in-house"

21. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

So I just brought my laptop to an Apple Service center (I have no love for the genius bar and this place was on my way anyway). Anyone who lives in Rhode Island should definitly bring their Macs over to Tricom Computer Systems. It's a nice little shop and the people there are very friendly.

Anyway my laptop is there right now. Now it's just the old waiting game.