What are people using for encryption nowdays?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wackymacky, Jun 2, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

After having my Mac and my external backup drives X2 stolen, I realised that I really need to think about protecting some of the data on my computer a bit better.

(I had the mac set up so that you needed the password whey you turned it on, thinking this would protect the data but I realised after a quck google how esey this is to cirmimvent even without the start up disk.)

I don't think that Filevault is the way to go as I need to to regular backups, preferably incremental, and there sevral hunderad files (documents) hat I want in my home folder that don't need encryption and only perhaps 100 that do, so encrypting a sparsebundle of my entire home folder every backup seems a pain in the ar**.

Is just using disk utility to create a small disk image that is encrypted the way to go or is there a better 3rd party option that people wouild recommemnd.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As a note, you can use FileVault and do incremental downloads in an encrypted fashion. I do so myself. You're probably right that FileVault isn't for you if it's only some documents you need to protect. If you're solely on Mac, the encrypted disk image is a good solution. If you need cross-platform compatibility, then I recommend TrueCrypt. It can encrypt entire drives (except the Mac system drive) and can create standalone encryption volumes similar to a disk image file.

My own setup involves FileVault, TrueCrypt, and Rsync. I also use KeePassX for password management.