What are podcasts?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by ellaimac, May 22, 2012.

1. ellaimac macrumors regular

Sorry to sound stupid but what exactly are podcasts? I see them in itunes store, but what are they?

2. barredfreak macrumors 6502

A podcast is sort of like a reality show, but without the video. Podcasts usually range from talking about things like technology to movies. You can actually create your own podcast, too. Sometimes, TV show directors make podcasts to discuss why they did what they did in the continuity of the show. It's pretty cool to listen to, if you're interested, of course.

3. macjock macrumors regular

4. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Podcasts are normally audio recordings on a subject matter, or time shifted radio shows from commercial and professional stations, or promotional material, or extra content for a TV show. To be honest they could be anything. The definition of podcast is really the way it's distributed (via RSS feed).

A lot ares non-professional, just a few people enthusiastic about something. Some are semi-professional - ie experienced in audio production, and have high quality kit, and of course Radio and TV stations like NPR and The BBC producing high quality professional shows.

iTunes is just one podcast feed "aggregator", picking up the feed periodically, and making the latest media available to download, rather than hitting the shows websites on the off chance that there is new content. Other aggregators include Juice (mac/windows/linux), and Pocketcast (for iOS)

Most podcasts are usually under creative commons licenses giving the podcast episodes out as a free download for people to hear and share.
    There are a few video podcasts too, usually called vodcasts.

The podcasts I listen too are mainly music based, playing unsigned, independent music from around the world, that most people would not normally hear.
    Examples are
    http://www.darkcompass.com
    http://www.musicpodcasting.org
    http://www.madeintheukshow.co.uk

Im sure there's a podcast that suits your interest, there are 100's of thousands of them now.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Or learn you can actually find out about it yourself by googling.

6. rasmusonline macrumors regular

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Looks like you got your answer. I just wanted to add that I love podcasts, they make the drive to and from work go by so much faster. :) Just got to the iTunes store in iTunes and select podcasts. There are a ton!

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And Google will probably bring them to a 5 year old MR thread. Then people like you will complain about resurrecting a 5 year old thread. ;)

9. -aggie-, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

First hit on Google is the wikipedia site for podcast. Don't you feel embarrassed for posting that now?

And BTW, people like "me" don't just tell people to search on here. I always answer their questions too.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

No, cause it's not the only hit. If you rely on only one or the first source while doing research, then it's you who should feel embarrassed.

11. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Nobody's doing research here. OP just wanted to get an idea on podcasts, and the wikipedia link perfectly answers his question.

12. macjock macrumors regular

But if the OP doesn't know what a podcast is surely by managing to reach this site is a step advanced from just googling. People need to stop being offended by what people do on a PC when they have no idea who it is that posted.

If I wanted to know something about running for example I would search out a running forum. If I asked my question and got told to 'google it' I don't think i'd be going back to that site in a hurry.

Do you get it?

----------

I don't see an answer to this particular question on podcasts :D

----------

but why would that path be more appropriate than him or her asking in here :confused:

13. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

No questions allowed. This is a no fun zone. Gurus only.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Stop fighting on who should google what. If the OP had to google, he would have done it.

Now 5 years from now someone will wonder what a Podcast is and run across forum members fighting each other (and this useless post).

15. irDigital0l Guest