Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you need Stuffit Expander to open it up, its free, used to be included in with OS X, but since Tiger was released its not, don't know why though.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I wonder why it's not included in Mac OS X anymore. I know Mac OS X can open .zip files by itself but a majority of Mac downloads use .sit or a variation of it. I mean the software is free but, maybe Apple had to pay for it to be on the Tiger disc? This confuses me...:confused:

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
As noted above compressed .sit and .sitx files are opened with Stuffit Expander.

Stuffit Deluxe 10 is a very handy compression utility.

You can get by O.K. with Expander, but Deluxe is great if you have lots
of data to store or send.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
LimeiBook86 said:
I wonder why it's not included in Mac OS X anymore. I know Mac OS X can open .zip files by itself but a majority of Mac downloads use .sit or a variation of it. I mean the software is free but, maybe Apple had to pay for it to be on the Tiger disc? This confuses me...:confused:
This question has been answered many times in the months since Tiger was released. The Tiger-compatible version of Stuffit Expander was not ready when the OS went to manufacturing. However, Apple provided a link to it on the Apple.com web site when it became available.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
MisterMe said:
This question has been answered many times in the months since Tiger was released. The Tiger-compatible version of Stuffit Expander was not ready when the OS went to manufacturing. However, Apple provided a link to it on the Apple.com web site when it became available.
Thanks, this makes perfect sense, I guess maybe the new Mac OS X 10.4.3 "Tiger" discs might have StuffIt Expander on it :)...or maybe Apple forgot ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.