iPad What are some accessories that could help me with college?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GKDAIR, Nov 20, 2013.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I want to get more serious about using my ipad, as of now I really only use it for games.

Also, I have a Ipad 3 if anybody cares to know.

What are some good cases for my ipad? Are ones with bluetooth keyboards any good?

Do any styluses work well for the device?

Any other cool accessories that can help me out?

2. hachiman macrumors regular

Just get the poly case that Apple has made for the iPad. You don't need a stylus for it or an other cool accessories. I think you need to stay away from those distraction and focus on your homework.

If you want something helpful for studying, find out about Khan Academy or iTunes U.

3. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

Right, because accessories to help me in school would somehow distract me from school. Better not take that stylus that could write notes.

4. hachiman macrumors regular

Pen and paper. You're going to regret trying to take notes on a computer or tablet. Don't let my experience stop you from doing it.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Agreed pen and paper. iPad for games.

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Wacom Bamboo Stylus, Goodnotes or Penultimate.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pen and paper or typing for notes. Stylus is kinda pointless unless you're actually drawing. Pen and paper is going to be the easiest.

Get a good, comfortable, well-padded bag, a good pen and a good studying system that leaves enough time for not studying too.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'll echo the above regarding styli for notes. Helpful for a diagram, but for actual notes just stick to pencil & paper or typing. Even then it'd usually be faster to just type the notes and insert "see figure 3" which you quickly draw on a paper notepad and later photo or scan into your notes.

GKDAIR you have the cart in front of the horse. Instead of seeking accessories to "help you out" or "get you more serious about using your ipad" you'd do better to step back from the solutions and look at the higher level goals.

Instead of "how can I use my ipad more", think about "what parts of my studying/classes are least efficient?" Then see if there's a technological (ipad) solution to those inefficiencies.

Is pencil/paper a bottleneck that might be aided by the ability to type notes? Or perhaps do you face a bottleneck with hauling around reams of case studies and other materials on PDFs that you printed, where if they were in an app like PDF Expert you'd save a bunch of weight/time?

Hope that helps.

BTW no matter what you do, ensure you have a viable backup solution in place that you've tested. It'd be real fun to lose all your notes and papers and stuff a week before finals... :eek:

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

10. French macrumors regular

There are note applications that you can record the class and if you type notes as you go, it "bookmarks" so that you can click on the typed note and it will take you to that part of the recording. Notability and Notes Plus both have this capability.

I'm someone who tends to believe pen and paper would be easier overall, however I would likely try real hard to make note taking on the iPad work, especially with the ability to record the class and quickly access parts of the lesson that I would want to refresh on.

11. GBR macrumors 6502

If your a fast typer maybe a bluetooth keyboard case to take notes in class. Or you could use a full-size apple bluetooth keyboard as it would be more comfortable to type with.

I have tried several times to switch to using a stylus and my iPad for taking notes at work and it just doesn't work well enough for that. I actually have started using a Boogie Board LCD writing tablet for quick notes (replaces post-its), it is extremely close to the pen and paper writing experience.