What are some good brand USB hubs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stanny, Oct 7, 2010.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

I got one, Apacer, a taiwanese brand I think. My USB Logitech speakers don't work, my portal HD don't work too. Do any of these usb hubs work good?

2. fivenotrump macrumors regular

I find that cheapo no-name hubs are just as good as well-known branded ones

3. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Then my stuff still not going to work then.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Are you sure they dont work or are they taking too much power together? Try using 1 at a time...

5. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes my external HD definitely does not work and also my usb speakers. Even when used 1 by 1.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

8. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, my usb pen drive works. I supposed its powered?

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What I mean is do you plug your USB hub into the mains electric?

10. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh damn, all my problems are solved. That thing actually needs power. So there's like a mini plug thing. You actually need this mini plug to usb thing plugged in which I manage to find a spare one lying around and used that. So that means this hub will occupy 2 of my usb slots on my MBP but it gives 4. Thats about it. But aren't there any hubs which don't need power like that? All of them usually need 2 USB ports to function?

11. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

generaly you plug them into the wall outlet for power. it should have came with a plug in.

12. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

It did not. I am now using another USB port for that lil mini hole. I found a spare mini hole to USB cable lying around somewhere and used that. So it occupies 2 usb ports of my mbp now. Wierd huh?

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If it reads a usb drive fine with one, but cant do speakers or hdd is because it doesnt have enough power. Simply get a powered hub.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Unpowered hubs are a total waste of money. A USB hub is more than just "more ports" it requires power as well. You can only draw so much power from the USB port on the computer, so you need to add power at the hub, especially if you are using one of the unpowered usb drives.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Actually they are nice if you just need more room for drives like the mbp doesnt have enough room to have 2 flash drives side by side, but using the hub I can get 4 drives and use the other usb slot on the computer for something that needs power like my external hdd.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Unpowered hubs are ok *sometimes* as long as every device is externally powered, but that's oft not the case.

OS X should let you know if your hub needs more juice. Windows will also let you know.

I've used a variety of them, but my current Kensington 4 port powered works the best. Try to avoid the card reader/hub combos if possible. Just go for the straight hub with no excitement and a standalone card reader if needed.

17. lickitysplit macrumors regular

I wouldn't say its a waste of money. Some people don't need to plug in hard drives and cd drives and other various things that need all the power. I have a $2 4 port that I use at my desk. I leave the mouse, keyboard, and headset plugged into that and when i get home i just plug the 1 usb from the hub into my laptop and then i use it as my desktop.

18. sgjohnston macrumors newbie

Recommend the Belkin hub

I tried a Dlink DUB-7, and it worked sort-of, but was unreliable coming out of sleep. Changed to the Belkin USB 2.0 Plus, with the bizarre hole in the middle, and have had zero problems with it.

19. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have that same Belkin hub, but my problem is that when I have it connected to the MBP, it doesn't GO to sleep. Do you have that issue by chance?

20. jlw2387 macrumors member

My unpowered Targus hub runs a USB sound card, external HDD, wireless mouse / keyboard receiver and USB piano keyboard (powered by the hub), but it wont charge my iPhone..

21. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I bought a MacAlley USB2.0 x4 and FW x3 hub. Works like a charm! I have everything connected to it, so i only have to plug in one usb and one FW cable to my machine.