What are some good (small) 2-speaker systems?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeremysteele, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jeremysteele, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'm looking to replace my aging (at least 10 years old) logitech speakers with something a bit newer. 2 speakers, hopefully without a separate subwoofer (they take up too much space).

Built out a little platform my monitors sit on to lift them up to proper height - and it has about 3.50" clearance for speakers to lay under it. My current speakers fit nicely under... but the subwoofer is stuck off to the side and is just too awkward. Unfortunately the speakers on their own (if I unplug the sub) sound like crap without that extra "umph".

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. It's one of the three "sections" of the platform I made, each section is about 13" wide, by 3.50" high. Maybe even a small soundbar would work, going alongside the front of the platform?

[​IMG]

I know speakers that small, especially with built in subs, won't sound "great" - but it'll be good enough for my music/videos.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!:D

2. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

How much are you looking to spend.

I would suggest a pair of the old KRK V4 series I or II

V6 if you can afford the space.

The older series KRK's have flat sides but the newer VXT series have curved side which may not be good for you purposes, tucking them into a tiny spot on their side.

3. jeremysteele thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Hoping to stay under/around $300, total, if possible (although my birthday is coming up... so who knows... may treat myself :D )

I've pretty much accepted I probably won't find any that'll fit under too well. Whatever I get, I'll probably just stick them on the side of the monitor stands or something. Been looking around, and it seems like nearly all of the smaller ones are basic systems or are way out of the price range.

4. Mr Friendly macrumors newbie

I am going through the same dilemma. Now that I have a Mac, I want to clean up all the clutter. My big Logitech Z906 is now in my attic. It sounded great but took up too much space in and around my desk.

I did find this article and bookmarked it. I am not sure if any of these might help but it is worth a look.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/

5. inscrewtable, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

If you can stretch a bit then check this out on ebay at the moment, they don't come up very often. You'll not want another pair of speakers ever. They are arguably even better than the current VXT6's. http://tinyurl.com/omndgzu I'd buy them myself if I was in the States, which I'm not. Otherswise you will be able to get a pair of the old V4's for under $300.

check out this review for the V4's, I've had a pair and it's all true http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/krkv.htm

EDIT: it may be worth mentioning that all the normal 'desktop speakers, have one amplifier in one of the speakers and the 2nd speaker is a slave unit. Whereas the KRK's are serious kit, each of the speakers have their own amplifier, so a pair has 4 amplifiers each one tuned specifically to drive one cone. There really is no comparison. The KRK' V6's I link to will reveal a depth of music and tight deep bass that you simply would never have guessed was there. You don't need to be mixing music to appreciate this quality.

If you are going to get single amplifier speakers you may as well get the http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MS16.aspx for about $75 bucks because they are not bad for the price.

6. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs