what are some good text messaging tweaks

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Che Castro, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

i now sign-up for the at&t text plan

been using google voice to text all this time

so what sms tweaks would u recommend from cydia

also whats the best app that will let u reply from anywhere

2. outphase macrumors 65816

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

+1 to this. IMO, this is one of the few tweaks that will ensure I am never without a jailbreak.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Same here. OP, you may scoff at the price when you first see it, but believe me, it's completely worth it. For something you'll use literally all the time, it's a wonderful app.

I believe there's a trial of it and after the trial ends, you can still use it for free, but you'll have ads appear in the BiteSMS app. I don't THINK the ads appear in the quick reply, but since I bought it straight out and didn't go through the trial period, I'm not positive of that.

5. STravisC macrumors regular

Does it work for 4.2.1?

6. Che Castro, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

ok i got biteSMS

but one thing

i have activator set to when i hold the statusbar in the homescreen it puts the iphone to sleep

now when i click on the biteSMS icon with the number in statusbar it does both ,puts the iphone to sleep & the quick reply text popup comes out

im not holding the icon down i just click on it & the iphone goes to sleep

is there a way to fix this other than removing holding the statusbar to sleep from activator

edit:

also in the lockscreen , when i click the icon biteSMS in statusbar , snappy comes down too & the biteSMS popup

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Yes, add http://cydia.bitesms.com to get the beta version updated to work on 4.2.1

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Sounds like you need to mess with your gestures in Activator to make sure that none of your gestures are conflicting with each other.

9. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

i disabled the quick list icon because i have notified pro set to swipe down on statusbar & i see the messages there

10. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Ok I wasn't feeling bitesms so I removed it & got quickreply SMS in cydia

I like this tweak better

I have notified pro so I see all the old messages

Now this quickreply app doesn't have a quick compose like bitesms

So I figured I used activator for that

I set the volume button display tap anywhere to open the messaging app
    This works in the home screen & in any open app

But the volume display tap does not appear on the lockscreen, so I can't compose a text me from the lockscreen

Other than that I like quickreply SMS better than bitesms

11. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I love bitesms as well. I am actually surprised that apple hasn't implemented a SMS app like bitesms, it's way better than the stock app. Like the person above said, bitesms alone is also the main reason that I will always jailbreak!

I used to use quick reply, but it doesn't work well any more with the 4.0 + firmware, in my experience any way. Also the developer of quick reply isn't updating the software any more.

12. Orion126 macrumors regular

QuickReply is also good and although it says it's depreciating software it's really not. The creator of the app (per his Twitter) has contacted Saurik to make it free however Saurik hasn't responded or read the email so the software still costs $2.99 but it works great. It's less intrusive IMO than BiteSMS and the other SMS product and it's simple...just double tap to respond.

The only bug I've found on it is that if you are in an app that requires landscape mode the text response screen will be upright but when typing out the text the pop ups of the words will be sideways.

13. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

update:

I got a new setup

I cancelled my text plan with at&t and now im using google voice to text again

but i have it setup like this

I use

Quickreply SMS

and

SMS GV extension

[​IMG]

So i use the native SMS iphone app to text for free and Quickreply SMS works the same with the google voice text coming throw the native SMS app

I would recommend this to everybody

only thing is u cant send pics or videos with google voice,but thats ok cause i dont do that anyway,u can always send via email