What are some reasons for people holding off from buying the MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by princealfie, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. princealfie macrumors 68030


    Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    I am currently a iBook and PowerBook owner and was wondering what were the reasons for holding off upgrading to the MB or MBP? For me, it was just waiting to see all the bugs get straightened out before adopting new technology :)
  2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    MB: 1. Glossy Screen---*Only reason I won't buy it
    2. integrated graphics
    3. Easily gets dirty

    1. Too large, want a smaller model with Matte Screen

    Overall: 1. Waiting for Santa rose, want a full fledged 64 bit processor
    2. Don't want to pay for leopard upgrade
    3. Don't want to pay for a iLife upgrade
  3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 6, 2006
    Those are the main reasons. Basically, the thing most people will tell you is that if you need it now, buy it. We may or may not see a new MB/MBP in the next few months.

    If you assume Apple will do a refresh every six months, that puts a new MBP in April and a MB in May/June. Then again, when does Apple ever do anything on a regular basis?
  4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    At the very least wait for Leopard and iLife IMO.
  5. JPP macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2007
    But won't the first release of Leopard have some bugs and kinks that perhaps early adopters can live with but others might find a pain? It's always the way with those who just have to be first in the queue. There's been problems with all first electronics releases it seems to me whether it's apple or an xbox or a PS3 - the list goes on...

    I wouldn't wait if it's just for the OS and software. i won't be one of the first to get Leopard although I really want it. I am going to wait a couple of months when it comes out so that most of the major kinks and bugs people inevitably find are ironed out.

    Not sure if that's any help. I love my Macbook Pro and am glad I have it now!
  6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    Isnt the first update generally right around the corner to fix most bugs. I am ready to move forward. I am willining to save over $100 to deal with a few bugs that will be quickly fixed.

    Only people that should hold off are people who depend on Mac for there lively hood or those that REALLY can't deal with ANY bugs or can afford to not deal with the hassle. (again imo)
  7. jonnysods macrumors 603


    Sep 20, 2006
    There & Back Again
    I waited 6 loooooong months until the C2D iMac came out (then they surprised me with a 24inch in the line up which I snapped the day after it was released).

    We never really had much insight into what Apple were coming out with next, but now they are with Intel we have a sneak peak into what we can expect and when we can expect new improvements in the lineup.

    Right now we are at the max of the Merom speed and FSB. Penryn/Santa Rosa isn't expected until half way through the year, then they have to mass produce then release them. My guess would be July August if that is the case. The C2D iMac was released 2 months before the MBP's.

    Don't wait if you don't have to, and when you buy it never look back. My iMac is like a bullet, and I know that my pending MBP will be the same because of the specs.

    I will say one final thing though - a new GPU would be super sweet!
  8. SMM macrumors 65816


    Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    My reason was rather different from the norm. I had a nice PB G4 17". I only used it for traveling. I told my nephew it was his as soon as he signed his 'letter of intent'. In November he signed with Oregon State and the PB was his. And, I just could not be without an Apple laptop, so I bought a MBP. Everyone is happy.
  9. xyian macrumors 6502


    May 24, 2004
    I am wanting one really bad but waiting for three reasons:
    1. I want to pay for it all at once
    2. I would like to have Leopard(aka the Vista copycat:rolleyes: )
    3. I would like to see if they are going to incorporate the flash memory BIOS.

    I want a Blackbook real bad but I'll just wait until next year probably. My iMac is fine for now and I'm not dependent on portability yet.
  10. tivoboy macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2005
    waited, just bought

    So, I waited, and then the CD2 came out, so glad I waited.

    Then I waited some more, for Macworld, which had no annoucements in this category. So, I waited till 1/31/2007, and decided to order.

    Picked it up from amazon, I had a 150$ off coupon that was going to expire, and amazon had a 75$ rebate, so for 1050$ shipped, I got me a new 2.0 CD2 macbook, and If/when leopard comes out in the next quarters, I may sell it at a small loss and get whatever is newer.

    So, since I just bought it, that means the new ones will be out next week, right!
  11. eenu macrumors 65816


    Aug 11, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    It's 'Santa Rosa' and whats not 64Bit with the C2Ds?
  12. djellison macrumors 68020

    Feb 2, 2007
    Pasadena CA
    I'm waiting for Leopard, iLife 07 and...most importantly - iWork 07...I need Keynote 4 to do some things that 3 doesn't (and all pointers suggest that it will). When I can get a version of Keynote that will push images around (as we saw at the last big Steve Keynote ) - then I have all the reasons I need to jump to the Mac platform.

    When that happens, I'm getting an MBP. I'm hoping that a refresh to the MBP line will happen at about the same time as Leopard and iWork '07. If it doesn't - the current MBP line is still fine.

  13. jgerry macrumors member

    Feb 2, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I just bought a MBP 15" this week. I've been limping along with a first-gen G4 Mini for almost 2 years. I was waiting for a 2nd generation machine; I didn't want to be the first one to try out a brand-new processor architecture. So I waited.

    I was waiting for the possibility of higher rez screens, LED backlighting, but I finally just got sick of waiting. I got a 15% off deal from a friend who works at Apple, so I could sell the thing tomorrow for more than I paid for it. If Apple comes out with some must-have stuff that I want, like the aforementioned higher rez screen and LED backlighting, and maybe a better video card... Well, then I'll sell my new baby and trade up!
  14. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    The only thing I am aware may be the memory management. I am not 100% aware of any other reasons. But its my understanding from these forums that C2D is not a full 64 bit for whatever reason.
  15. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    The C2D Macbook Pros should run the 64 bits version of Windows Vista just fine, however it is kind of pointless because it nets you no real advantage since you are still restricted to 4gb of memory.

    It will be a long time before laptop memory prices drops low enough where you can get 4gb worth of ram without breaking the bank, so it is quite a moot point anyway.

    Even Windows Vista flies with 3gb. There is no real reason why most users need so much memory in the foreseeable future.
  16. JPP macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2007
    Hi there

    If you want a black macbook then I think you should get one now. Or does blackbook not mean a black macbook? Sorry if that's a dumb question. The reason I say buy it now or soon is that when I was investigating which mac to buy I looked at macbooks (I bought a macbook pro) and all I spoke to at apple said that the black macbook is in fact a limited edition and that when the series is refreshed in 07 there won't be a black one...

    Just what I heard. May be totally wrong of course but the people in the apple store in london and the apple store via the phone said the same thing...

    You might want to check with your supplier/shop.


  17. solaris macrumors 6502a


    Apr 19, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    There are two missing features holding me back from buying a MacBook Pro:
    * Lack of 7200rpm HDD option on the 15".
    * Lack of 8x SuperDrive.

    Both of these were available in the latest 15" PowerBook's. :apple:
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I don't mind integrated graphics, but I'd like the one that supercedes the GMA 950. I was thinking about selling my MB and buying a 15" MBP, but I think it's smarter for me to wait and buy another MBP with better integrated graphics. The reason I need it is to run Aperture faster.
  19. Gooseboy macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2007
    I'm waiting for a 15" MBP with...

    iLife 07
    7200rpm HDD
    a screen with no grain
  20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
    In general:
    1. Leopard.
    2. Santa Rosa.

    1. Glossy screens.
    2. Integrated graphics.

    1. Crappy screens.
    2. The lack of the same magnetism that the MB has for closing the screen.
    3. (maybe) Same ease of upgrading the HD as the MB (it's actually pretty easy in the MBP as well).
  21. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

    Jiddick ExRex

    May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
    * Change the HD yourself. It's not difficult.
    * Wow, you actually think that there's a big enough difference between 6x and 8x dual layer so you don't want it? o_O (besides the 17" has an 8x superdrive.)
  22. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040


    May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!
    Well I orderd a new 2.0 yesterday... I have no problem paying for leopard, There will always be a new one around the corner.......live with it :)
  23. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    Well if I needed it right now I would buy it, but since I can wait, I rather save my money.
  24. coffey7 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 12, 2006
    I would wait and buy one when Leopard comes out. Don't worry about any bugs with the new OS. Its not like its Mircosoft.
  25. Locolako macrumors newbie

    Dec 26, 2006
    NO. NOOOOOOOO. I love the Blackbook and I have been waiting for this refresh since last august, (Its a graduation present). My perfect lappie would have been
    2 gigs of ram
    iLife 07
    and probably iWork 07, if it has a spreadsheet app

    But if its a limited edition and won't be there with the 07 revision then MBP it is then. But Ive never heard anything like that before, has anyone else?

Share This Page