What are some reasons the iPhone has great customer satisfaction?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jul 21, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Why do people going back and upgrading to newer iPhones do you think? In the Android world, people jump around OEMs - Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola etc. and don't seem to be loyal to one brand. But the iPhone has no trouble retaining customers. Once you go iPhone, there are very few reasons that will compel you to leave. What are some of yours?

2. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Maybe because the iPhone is the only iOS phone?

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

iOS works well. Syncs with my multiple Apple devices with out any intervention.

Was a long time Blackberry user but then their hardware became cr^p. tried Android several times and even strayed to a Windows phone and it becomes clear the Apple has got it right.

The larger iPhone 6 will do nicely!

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Simplicity and ease of use, integration and customer service .

Simplicity and Ease of Use - My parents can use it. 'Nuff said. :p

Integration - People often refer to Apple's system as a walled garden. I think of it more like a gated community. As long as you stick to HOA guidelines (the "Apple way"), everything is hunky dory. You've got iCloud, PhotoStream, iMessage, FaceTime, etc working across your Apple devices with little to no configuration on the part of the user. I know a lot of folks who would trade some degree of freedom for Apple's integration and ease of use.

Customer Service - Need help with your iOS device? Just schedule an appointment at the Apple Store (we've got like 2 within walking distance). I can't think of any other manufacturer that provides easy, same-day warranty repair/replacement of their products.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Apple Store for me.

My iPhone's lock-button button was flaky - so I made an appointment a day ahead of time to get it looked it. I literally walked in told them my lock button wouldn't register every time I pressed it & they just gave me a new iPhone and sent me along my way. The whole process took 8 minutes & I never had to send

Not sure how Android users could do that - I imagine they go to the Verizon Store (which is an absolute nightmare with waiting & subpar customer service).

I know my experience isn't indicative of all iPhone user's customer service but Apple's customer service is top-notch. Additionally, my Mac was 3 years out of warranty and the logic board randomly failed; they replaced my Mac free-of-charge.

6. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Anyone who's ever upgraded an iOS device can readily see how well Apple thought out the process of transitioning the apps, media, settings, and data from one device to another. The ease of transition is just one point of stickiness that keeps users solidly in the iOS fold.

With an Apple product, you have multiple points of contact available -- most of which involve humans. Apple has their retail stores; and if you can't make it to an Apple Store but still want to talk to someone, Apple doesn't hide their phone numbers or try to steer you into automated Q&A queries. And they don't outsource their customer support to some boiler room in Bangalore.

Since Android is a common platform with multiple OEMs, and the most commonly used app services provided by Google and not the OEM, there are fewer points of contact that will keep customers loyal to one vendor over another. And the tactics used by OEMs to differentiate their products can have the effect of degrading the user experience. You're left with the choice of pure Android devices sold and serviced by Google, which has a spotty customer service record at best; or you take your chances with an Android OEM that might have a more extensive support network, but also loaded their devices down with crapware.

For all the criticisms of Apple as a secretive and arrogant company, they understand the human angle of the retail transaction AND aftersales support better than their competitors. What others view as a cost to cut, Apple views as an essential tool to gain and retain customers.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Engineering elegance, customer service, durability, excellent software, and Apple are not prats like Samsung.

Oh, and I don't trust Google. I'd rather be the customer for my phone than marketing departments of companies unknown.

8. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Well said. I agree apple seems to think things through a product cycle. Their support blows everyone else away. Is there even such thing as a version of applecare for androids?

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

what others have said so far is good.

When I bought my first iPhone (the iP4) I went that route because I had a Mac and bought iTunes songs already. things would sync seamlessly I thought. My wife was also buying a smartphone and I didn't push her to the iPhone (3GS that she bought) over the Samsung/Android phones that were the same price but she figured if there was ever a problem I could help her out. (There never really was, she didn't even read the very light instructions)

Since then she has upgraded her iPhone to the 5 and I briefly uprgaed to the 5S with work but then they took it back after 6 mo's. so I am waiting on the iP6.

I stuck with it because I have purchased Apps, Songs, Books, shows, movies, etc.

Now, I can see why the Android market jumps around...their apps all transfer between those other phone OEMs because they all are with some level of Android OS. Plus, with those it is a matter of Specs or Price that they jump to. some might like a cheaper-priced phone the next time or some feature of a phone. with iPhones, there is only "one" iPhone...the 5C is basically last year's model.

10. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Because they listen to you and have been very well trained to handle all aspects of your problem and stick with it until you are taken care of.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Jumping between Android devices is relatively painless. Kind of like jumping between different PC manufacturers.

Jumping between iOS and Android is a bit trickier and there are a lot of adjustments to make.

12. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah until I see customer service for android like I see for apple there's no comparison. There isn't even anything that android offers is there that's like AppleCare, or an apple store.

13. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

I feel that its the software and hardware working together very well. Android makes their OS for multiple phone companies (samsung, HTC ect...) so the software doesnt always work with the hardware.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." -Alan Kay

14. CPx macrumors 6502

Timeless design of the devices. A good user experience that people like returning to. Great customer support. A top-notch ecosystem.

15. chupachup macrumors 6502

Apple lost me as an iPhone customer. There's a high number of people switching from Android to Apple, but there's an even bigger number switching from Apple to Android. I did it last year, couldn't be happier after 3 years of iPhone ownership.

I left primarily because of the tiny screen and the awesomely awful battery life, and the 5 and 5s haven't gotten any better.

The iPhone 6 battery will be 1,800mAh. So I know already that it will be horrible.

I have no trouble now going a full day with HEAVY duty use. Where my iPhone would be dead at about 1pm, my G2 keeps going all day long.

And that was my reason. I loved the user experience, hated the hardware.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

How do you know the numbers of what smartphone users switched from apple to android or vice-versa?

17. chupachup, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

It has been reported. This story repeats itself with many other manufacturers, but here is one on Samsung:

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_users_are_switching_to_the_galaxy_s5-news-8918.php

You may not see it in the USA, but I see it here in Thailand. I see a LOT less people with iPhone and many more with Samsung. I used to see the iPhone 4/4s and even the iPhone 5 a lot, but now I see a LOT more Samsung phones.

But I'm talking about me personally and what made me change. I'm much happier now. if Apple can bring a phone that has a battery worth a damn, I may consider going back.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

These guys are guessing, nobody really knows. It's like asking how many Camry owners switched to accord.

Unless the telco companies are providing information, nobody really knows the number.

I would think trends in Thailand don't necessarily follow the US. However for me I wouldn't use an android device unless apple screws up totally. The battery lasts a day and I'm fine with that.

19. chupachup macrumors 6502

The battery lasts a day. Yes sure.

You forgot to end that sentence. It should go "the battery lasts a day FOR ME".

Not only are Samsung commercials making fun of people with iPhone plugged into a wall, but even Steve Wozniak made fun of it. When they asked him why he had 2 iPhones he said " it solves the battery problem".

My iPhone with heavy use would last me until about 2pm. Everyone in my school with iPhone are constantly plugged into a portable battery charger.

My G2 goes all day with heavy use. I was never able to do that with iPhone. I was always afraid to go somewhere like a school field trip because I knew it would die before we came back to school if I really use it a lot.

My point is, Apple lost me as a customer of 3 years for the reasons stated above. Period. End of sentence.

Also I really don't care what phone you would or wouldn't use. I came here only to answer the OPs question and nothing else. I don't want to get into a discussion with you. It accomplishes nothing.

Bye. Have a nice day.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Fairly pejorative for a brief internet exchange. You actually didn't answer the question as much as bashing apple. Apple lost you as a customer but they gained me as a customer. And you should also add: "for me" to your post.

21. chupachup, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

Where did I bash apple? I'm talking about the iPhone. He asked what were reasons to compel me to leave. So I gave the reasons why I left.

Can someone say something negative about an apple product on here without you fanboys taking it personally? This isn't about you, it's about my iPhone experience vs now with Android. I was compelled to leave by a superior device.

In my experience, Macbooks are the best laptops available today, iPads are the best tablets and iPhones are middle of the road. There are much better products out there. This is bashing apple? He he.

See? This exchange isn't accomplishing anything. Can you stop now? You said your piece, I said mine. There's nothing more to add. It's finished.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

So if this exchange accomplished nothing, why did you bother answering? And talk about fanboys, they come from all over the globe.

The title of the thread is customer satisfaction and reasons thereof. Figure it out, I'm done.

23. chupachup macrumors 6502

Simple

He asked. I answered my reason to leave.

I was done then. But then you came in. What do you not understand about what i said? Go back and read what I wrote. It wasn't up for discussion.

Then you came in fighting about how do I know the numbers. Who cares? Has nothing to do with the point I made.

Battery life. Crap
    Tiny screen. Crap.

G2 and Android. Better in every way.

I felt compelled to leave. I left.

I answered.

It is finished.