What are some stocks that should be bought?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pathfinder55, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

Well I found out about a "virtual stock trader" (www.updown.com). And I was just wondering what stocks you think people should buy to make some money off of.

2. pooky macrumors 6502

Hot stock tip #1: Don't ask for stock tips on a computer forum.

Hot stock tip #2: If you aren't willing/able to do the research yourself, don't buy stocks yourself. Either invest in something safer (bonds, cds, money market funds, mutual funds, etc), or pay someone else to invest your money for you. If you are going to buy a stock, you should be able to give me at least 3 good reasons why you want that stock. You should be able to do this on a weekly basis. If you can't do this, you might as well take your money to the tracks.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

My comment was going to be that I avoid giving stock advice, but I'll change it. If you read the original post, the OP is asking for stock advice for a "virtual trader." Therefore, I don't know that your comment really applies.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

As much as I hate to say thia, MicroSoft is actually a good stock. The dividends are good and it's relatively stable.

My boss dabbles in the market with MarketShare.com...MicroSoft is one of his favourites as is Corning, Inc. He says both are good.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

So is my CD.

You want stocks to go up, and while I agree with you that MSFT will probably go up in the coming years, it being stable is not a reason to buy it.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

O RLY?

Attached Files:

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

If I read correctly (which I know that I did), the poster that you quoted said last year.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My DVD is stable too... :D

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Unfortunately my laser disc has been going downhill since '99.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A hot rocket stock is a short ride, so expect to jump out of those rather quick ... don't get caught up in rising stock prices, hit your profit goal and pull out.

Long term stocks are once troubled markets, where the company is turning around the business but the market hasn't embraced them -- the bastard child stocks.

The the long shots slot machine style stocks, where the industry is in trouble and the threat of BK still looms -- sort of like the auto industry. Get something (maybe) or lose everything with these.

First and last ones are the risky ones. Finding the ugly duckling stocks in the bastard child industries are likely the ones to go after.

---

Most people look short term, so finding long term stocks to go after are generally tougher.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What's your strategy? Are you long term or short term?

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

:D If only we had invested in Blu-Ray... alas

I've been thinking about CDs lately, though. I also got me a buy-it-yourself-online account, but don't have the guts to actually use it yet :( They say never invest more than you can afford to lose, so there I go.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yes, it is always smart to buy stocks and commodities at an all-time high...Wait...No, that's opposite.

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I expect oil to drop pretty sharply in the next 5-10 years. If you want to buy oil and make a profit you'd have to hold it for a long, long time. And if you did that, you could just be earning 3%-10% every year somewhere else...

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

There is a thing called inflation, all time high doesn't mean anything in commodities. ;)

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Who cares about last year? Maybe we should applaud Enron's performance and ignore everything after it's peak too.

And BTW, I'm in NO WAY trying to compare Apple and Enron, I'm just trying to point out (by using an extreme example that most people are familiar with) that you have to look at the whole picture, not just the good parts.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well inflation affects stocks as well as commodities, since the thing inflating is the currency we use to value the item. That said, it would be hard to argue that oil, as a commodity, is a good buy right now. Even if, when you factor in the effects of inflation, the oil price is not at an absolute maximum, it is at a local maximum, to be sure.

20. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm just saying, I dont have any oil in my portfolio, most of my portfolio is gold. :p

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Most of mine looks more like fool's gold, but we'll wait a couple of years and see who the real fool is. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

22. Patrick425 macrumors member

ditto