Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
For me the big thing is widgets. When I turn on my phone, I get the current temperature, a 4-day forcast, and my next appointment all on my homescreen without doing anything else.

You mean like swiping down the Notification Center on the lock screen to see the very same? :)

Don't want to argue that there are a lot of things android does, iOS cannot, but this bugged me, cause I use it just like that: Swipe down and see Appointments and weather.

And with iOS 8 comes choice to which weather widget to use; glad it finally came, have waited for it since introducing Apple's own widgets in iOS 5.

bubbleboil

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
Have main home screen without any icon.

Printing via USB cable (my printer is too old)

Themes

Floating apps.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
You mean like swiping down the Notification Center on the lock screen to see the very same? :)

Don't want to argue that there are a lot of things android does, iOS cannot, but this bugged me, cause I use it just like that: Swipe down and see Appointments and weather.

And with iOS 8 comes choice to which weather widget to use; glad it finally came, have waited for it since introducing Apple's own widgets in iOS 5.

Hmm, more like Swipe down, click the Today tab, and get a non visual description of the weather. Compare to Android, you get a dashboard when opening your phone if you want, visual, current and weekly forecast. So yes, you can open the Weather app on iPhone but that's not the point. It's easier and better on Android.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Hmm, more like Swipe down, click the Today tab, and get a non visual description of the weather. Compare to Android, you get a dashboard when opening your phone if you want, visual, current and weekly forecast. So yes, you can open the Weather app on iPhone but that's not the point. It's easier and better on Android.

Swipe Down (From the lock screen!) and often there is already the today view. If not; another quick swipe.

I agree; The Weather widget used now is not for everybody. (Personally, I got used to it, but would welcome something better (like pre iOS7) but thats coming with iOS 8.

Actually I think it is easier on iOS, but that's my personal taste: You can swipe down from essentially everywhere and don't have to go back to the dashboard / home screen. But I'm pretty sure, there is a way Android doing it the same way as iOS, but I just wanted to compare these two methods (HomeScreen vs NC Widgets). :)

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
Mouse Support.

I wish i could connect a bluetooth mouse to my ipad. Would be a perfect minimal workstation. I hate editing / formating text on my ipad.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Mouse Support.

I wish i could connect a bluetooth mouse to my ipad. Would be a perfect minimal workstation. I hate editing / formating text on my ipad.

I'm sure it is coming shortly now that accessory makers can get MFi certified. I'd bet anything Logitech will have a mouse and keyboard MFi certified and ready the day ios8 drops!

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I'm sure it is coming shortly now that accessory makers can get MFi certified. I'd bet anything Logitech will have a mouse and keyboard MFi certified and ready the day ios8 drops!

which (The Mouse) then would only work in certain apps, which include a cursor.. I highly doubt it.. On top I don't see a big market for this.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Swipe Down (From the lock screen!) and often there is already the today view. If not; another quick swipe.

I agree; The Weather widget used now is not for everybody. (Personally, I got used to it, but would welcome something better (like pre iOS7) but thats coming with iOS 8.

Actually I think it is easier on iOS, but that's my personal taste: You can swipe down from essentially everywhere and don't have to go back to the dashboard / home screen. But I'm pretty sure, there is a way Android doing it the same way as iOS, but I just wanted to compare these two methods (HomeScreen vs NC Widgets). :)

Weather has been part of the Google Now notification center for some time, which means swiping down from any screen or any app, or even verbally asking Google Now for weather from any screen. Hell you can even do it while the phone is charging and off now. Swipe down for current conditions. Tap on it for full 5 day forecast. Tap again for extended forecast broken down by hour via heat index, wind speed, daylight times and rain percentages. No widgets even needed. All Google Now baby. Love this feature.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-06-11-14-26.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-06-11-14-26.png
    388 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_2014-07-06-11-16-28.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-06-11-16-28.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_2014-07-06-11-17-08.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-06-11-17-08.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 82

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
which (The Mouse) then would only work in certain apps, which include a cursor.. I highly doubt it.. On top I don't see a big market for this.

We don't know this? Speculation is all we have, but if a keyboard can function with an iPad, so can a mouse. And in graphic designing and certain games, a mouse would be awesome on an iPad.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Real bluetooth support.
SD Card support.
Google Now.
Pattern Lock.

And that is just off the top of my head. I've never used Android either.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Weather has been part of the Google Now notification center for some time, which means swiping down from any screen or any app, or even verbally asking Google Now for weather from any screen. Hell you can even do it while the phone is charging and off now. Swipe down for current conditions. Tap on it for full 5 day forecast. Tap again for extended forecast broken down by hour via heat index, wind speed, daylight times and rain percentages. No widgets even needed. All Google Now baby. Love this feature.

Didn't know this; Good to know! Advantage to Android (Generally not personally) since you can chose which way you prefer :)
Anyhow there is the possibility to show certain information in iOS without opening any app and the third party widgets in NC are going to make it even better. (This is not pointed towards your post)

We don't know this? Speculation is all we have, but if a keyboard can function with an iPad, so can a mouse. And in graphic designing and certain games, a mouse would be awesome on an iPad.

But that would require some kind of interface for mice, just like keyboards and controllers already have. Wouldn't they've touted this on WWDC?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
4. Size. Sorry, but a 3.99" screen at 326ppi in this day is pathetic. Talk about eye strain and constantly having to pinch to zoom and scroll left, right, up and down on webpages. So glad Apple has finally decided to join the rest of the world in larger/1080p screens.

I wouldn't say that 326ppi is pathetic! Far from it.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
The difference is that you can choose the source of the data with the widget you choose.

The weather for my area was never correct in iOS and the best source for weather in australia http://www.bom.gov.au/

That's true. Also the presentation (plain text) is sub par.

iOS 8 gonna fix this though through third party widgets. Finally!

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
For me the big thing is widgets. When I turn on my phone, I get the current temperature, a 4-day forcast, and my next appointment all on my homescreen without doing anything else.

Hmm. One of the bigger reasons I left Android was because I found homescreen widgets repulsive.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I guess you weren't able to workout how to turn them off?

I was never (I'm still not) able to find a launcher that I like for Android. Many of them use the inefficient app drawer paradigm, which I just don't care for.

----------

4. Size. Sorry, but a 3.99" screen at 326ppi in this day is pathetic. Talk about eye strain and constantly having to pinch to zoom and scroll left, right, up and down on webpages. So glad Apple has finally decided to join the rest of the world in larger/1080p screens.

I'm glad you're glad, but absolutely the single biggest reason I stopped buying Android phone after Android phone and bought an iPhone 5 is that it comes in my absolutely favorite screen size, 4".

Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed in Apple and can't imagine myself laying out $700 for their bloated turd this fall. I can get Google or someone else's bloated turd for half the price.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What are some things you can do on Android that you can't on iOS?

Jumping to hardware instead of just software:

With Android, you can choose from multiple models, from multiple makers, with new choices available fairly often.

No need to wait a year for a new model, nor go without a feature you really want, simply because Apple doesn't think it's a good idea (yet).

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I was never (I'm still not) able to find a launcher that I like for Android. Many of them use the inefficient app drawer paradigm, which I just don't care for.

Sounds like you are just making up reasons as the launcher has nothing to do with widgets. Regardless of the launcher you can disable widgets.

So is your issue the launcher or widgets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.