Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Clean out history, cache, cookies, missed calls, texts, un used apps,

What else?

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Don't install windows on it.

Hurr hurr. Windows 8 is faster than my MacBook Pro with Quad-Core i7 ever was.

Anyway, just use it normally. It's an iPhone 5, it won't be slow any time soon. But pretty much just close apps if you recently launched any bigger ones (Infinity Blade, Real Racing, etc).

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
You really aren't going to have to worry about this with an iPhone 5, but your own suggestions are actually what anyone should do just from a proper maintenance standpoint. I'm assuming you're coming from an older iPhone? Or older smartphone in general?

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
None of that stuff you listed should do anything actually.

Here are the only ideas i can come up with

1. Restart your phone every once in a while

2. If you notice any weird bugs try restart, reinstall app etc... or restore your phone to a fresh copy.

Make Donuts

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
utah
Any honest answers out there? other than the lame windows/android jokes? My 3GS at this point is unusable being so slow on processing anything it's like a first gen blu-ray player painfully slow! My ip4 was on the same path slowly but surely getting slower and now I'm pretty sure my ip5 will meet its demise eventually.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Any honest answers out there? other than the lame windows/android jokes? My 3GS at this point is unusable being so slow on processing anything it's like a first gen blu-ray player painfully slow! My ip4 was on the same path slowly but surely getting slower and now I'm pretty sure my ip5 will meet its demise eventually.

Nothing is going to last forever....thus is the nature of technology!

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've noticed that my iPhone 5 has lagged a few times when I would be in the text messaging app and I'd be receiving some text messages.

Earlier today I also clicked the sleep/wake button to wake up the phone, and the screen would stay black, and then I'd click it again and the home button as well, and it wouldn't respond for a few seconds.

I'm not sure if only i'm experiencing this problem, but when I first set up my iPhone, I set it up from the iCloud backup of my iPhone 4. So I'm restoring it right now to see if it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.