Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Voice call recording

No there are apps for that.

----------

The OP wants to see things you can do on Android but not iOS. IMO, iOS won't win that argument no matter how hard anyone tries :cool: Having options and yes, apps like Helium make the point of why Android works better. I do however see your poke and fun sarcasm. I approve :)

The way the original post is worded the operating system with the most options wins. To me IOS wins because less is more. Limit my options to configure. Provide top devices and support. Great apps.give me Touch ID so I can unlock my phone whilst simultaneously removing it from my pocket. Ios wins over android.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
With iOS, is it possible to save an email attachment in iPhone or iPad and then transfer it to a Mac or PC without an internet connection?

Let's say for instance if I'm abroad and don't have a data connection for the phone, I receive an attachment over wifi at a café and later want to get that attachment into my computer when I'm somewhere else and don't have an internet connection.

If yes, can this be done with any file types? Word docs, PDFs and mp3/wav files would be those I need the most but sometimes I need to transfer work files used by music software which does not have any corresponding app on iOS.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The way the original post is worded the operating system with the most options wins. To me IOS wins because less is more. Limit my options to configure. Provide top devices and support. Great apps.give me Touch ID so I can unlock my phone whilst simultaneously removing it from my pocket. Ios wins over android.

we'll have to agree to disagree on a lot of things including the intent of the original post. the only thing that determines which OS "wins" is the need of the user.

In your case you like less is more approach. I would much rather have more capability and an overall smarter device in terms of functions and capabilities. (have already covered my points in other threads) Configuring things that automate my life and use of a device one time are well worth it to me.

Touch ID means nothing to me as my 4 digit pass code is pretty simple. For my Note, I often grab it with my right hand and tap all four numbers then OK with my thumb. YMMV.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
At the end of the day, there's really no end task one can do on an Android device that one can't do on an iOS device.

We bicker and argue about METHODS by which to complete tasks, but the end result is achievable on both platforms.

It's up to the end user to decide which methods are best/right for them. That's all.

Try each out. Pick the one that you like and that suits you. End of story.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
we'll have to agree to disagree on a lot of things including the intent of the original post. the only thing that determines which OS "wins" is the need of the user.

In your case you like less is more approach. I would much rather have more capability and an overall smarter device in terms of functions and capabilities. (have already covered my points in other threads) Configuring things that automate my life and use of a device one time are well worth it to me.

Touch ID means nothing to me as my 4 digit pass code is pretty simple. For my Note, I often grab it with my right hand and tap all four numbers then OK with my thumb. YMMV.

I don't have to look at the phone to unlock it. I didn't get the 5s specifically for Touch ID, but it has grown to be my favorite feature. With apples stance on security, encryption, complex passwords with easy unlock are features I can relate to and make a difference to me on what Phone I want to own.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But none of those apps record natively. You need middle man with iOS, which is unreliable, expensive, and restricted.

If you have a requirement to answer phone calls from your cellular device on your Mac or iPad and record phone calls, one would have to figure out how to do it. Get a suction cup recoding device like a philmore for 10 bucks.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I don't have to look at the phone to unlock it. I didn't get the 5s specifically for Touch ID, but it has grown to be my favorite feature. With apples stance on security, encryption, complex passwords with easy unlock are features I can relate to and make a difference to me on what Phone I want to own.

I can see that. Apple does a lot of things I hate when it comes to passwords, login's, etc. Perhaps I'm over simplifying things or don't use them correctly though. Perhaps a fingerprint fixes that.

I don't understand why computers have to be authorized to buy through iTunes; and then why only 5 computers per ID. Frustrating. I need to read up on consolidating our purchase and sharing things. My wife and I have unique apple ID's but my son uses mine for his phone (1st phone) and they both have purchases from both ID's on their devices. My iPad and my daughters iPad have my ID on them too.

Password wise, it drives me crazy that iTunes asks every time too. I love how Google Play just lets me buy my apps without password requests every time.

Billing....Apple drives me nuts as it seems like every other month I have to "verify" my credit card they have. I like how Google Play allows me to bill my AT&T bill directly or i can have it hit my Google Wallet account. I don't have to verify anything ever.

Insight appreciated if there's a way to streamline Apple.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I can see that. Apple does a lot of things I hate when it comes to passwords, login's, etc. Perhaps I'm over simplifying things or don't use them correctly though. Perhaps a fingerprint fixes that.

I don't understand why computers have to be authorized to buy through iTunes; and then why only 5 computers per ID. Frustrating. I need to read up on consolidating our purchase and sharing things. My wife and I have unique apple ID's but my son uses mine for his phone (1st phone) and they both have purchases from both ID's on their devices. My iPad and my daughters iPad have my ID on them too.

Password wise, it drives me crazy that iTunes asks every time too. I love how Google Play just lets me buy my apps without password requests every time.

Billing....Apple drives me nuts as it seems like every other month I have to "verify" my credit card they have. I like how Google Play allows me to bill my AT&T bill directly or i can have it hit my Google Wallet account. I don't have to verify anything ever.

You can use your fingerprint to skip the input of the password.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Why do you think you need more than 5 authorized computers to backup and sync? You probably are limited to 5 iphones for one Apple id. Most people have a desktop and a portable which you can use to backup multiple devices with multiple Apple ids.

I like the fact I have to verify my cc.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Why do you think you need more than 5 authorized computers to backup and sync?

I don't need more than 5 but over time my son's iPhone and my ID have been associated with more than a few and this past week I tried to sync it with his newer laptop and I was told it was I couldn't and then had to go delete them all via their site, etc...

I just don't understand why? Why be so difficult? Why limited or associate my ID to a computer?

I like the fact I have to verify my cc.

IMO you shouldn't have to verify it as often as iTunes seems to do it to us. Again, just my preference perhaps, but I like the Play Store better. Just bill it to my AT&T account.

----------

You can use your fingerprint to skip the input of the password.

got that, but really, why should you have to? Even iTunes seems to keep asking me to login. Just keep the dang password and log me in already. Again, Play Store does and it works great.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't need more than 5 but over time my son's iPhone and my ID have been associated with more than a few and this past week I tried to sync it with his newer laptop and I was told it was I couldn't and then had to go delete them all via their site, etc...

I just don't understand why? Why be so difficult? Why limited or associate my ID to a computer?

IMO you shouldn't have to verify it as often as iTunes seems to do it to us. Again, just my preference perhaps, but I like the Play Store better. Just bill it to my AT&T account.

----------

got that, but really, why should you have to? Even iTunes seems to keep asking me to login. Just keep the dang password and log me in already. Again, Play Store does and it works great.

I don't want anything billed to my Verizon account that is not related to cell phone usage. So the app store having and verifying my cc is fine with me.

As far as the apple ids go. You are allowed to use an app, as you know over multiple ids. I think the limit is 5 (but don't want to look it up). You should be able to sync you phone over any authorized computer up to the limit.

You don't have to delete computers via their website, you can do deauthorize all computers via iTunes. You have to poke around in the options to find it though.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
As far as the apple ids go. You are allowed to use an app, as you know over multiple ids. I think the limit is 5 (but don't want to look it up). You should be able to sync you phone over any authorized computer up to the limit.

How do I get multiple ID's to all download the same apps without having to pay for them over again?

You don't have to delete computers via their website, you can do deauthorize all computers via iTunes. You have to poke around in the options to find it though.

^^ that's what I did...I used iTunes. I mis-spoke about using the Apple site. My bad.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How do I get multiple ID's to all download the same apps without having to pay for them over again?

^^ that's what I did...I used iTunes. I mis-spoke about using the Apple site. My bad.

My ipad and iphone share my apple id. I setup both to automatically download updates.

Go into settings -> iTunes and app store. Go to automatic downloads and set updates to on.

All idevices sharing your apple id will automatically sync up.

iTunes should sync all idevices using your apple id when you plug it in. Or use wifi sync with the charging code.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
My ipad and iphone share my apple id. I setup both to automatically download updates.

Go into settings -> iTunes and app store. Go to automatic downloads and set updates to on.

All idevices sharing your apple id will automatically sync up.

iTunes should sync all idevices using your apple id when you plug it in. Or use wifi sync with the charging code.

^^ got that. That's happening now. What about my wife's account. Her iTunes login is different than mine. Anyway to combine accounts. She's paid for apps under her ID that are on my sons phone and I've done the same. Every time his apps require updates it often will ask for her password then mine and it's a PIA. That's why I wish it wouldn't ask. My Note 3 just updates without asking.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
^^ got that. That's happening now. What about my wife's account. Her iTunes login is different than mine. Anyway to combine accounts. She's paid for apps under her ID that are on my sons phone and I've done the same. Every time his apps require updates it often will ask for her password then mine and it's a PIA. That's why I wish it wouldn't ask. My Note 3 just updates without asking.

That is the thing about the walled garden in the App Store. It doesn't know another Apple id belongs to the same family or not. However that is what family share is about. I don't know how that feature works, look up a how to guide.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
That is the thing about the walled garden in the App Store. It doesn't know another Apple id belongs to the same family or not. However that is what family share is about. I don't know how that feature works, look up a how to guide.

Family share is awesome! it allows my Dad to access apps I have purchased!

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
To be honest there's not much difference to what I do on my iPhone 5s as opposed to the Note 3. Granted I can use the S pen on the Note 3 but that's more of a specific feature of that phone. When I need to quickly use my phone, I find myself reaching for the iPhone more because it's more comfortable to hold and regarding my situation, I get better reception between the two. Now when I'm ready to do some lite browsing or watch a video I go with the Note. Either way, my use cases are similar. I no longer dabble with a lot of root apps or modifications and both devices fit the bill perfectly.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
With iOS, is it possible to save an email attachment in iPhone or iPad and then transfer it to a Mac or PC without an internet connection?

Let's say for instance if I'm abroad and don't have a data connection for the phone, I receive an attachment over wifi at a café and later want to get that attachment into my computer when I'm somewhere else and don't have an internet connection.

If yes, can this be done with any file types? Word docs, PDFs and mp3/wav files would be those I need the most but sometimes I need to transfer work files used by music software which does not have any corresponding app on iOS.

Any takers on this? Or will I need to carry an Android device just in case, if I do decide to get a 6 Plus?

I'm not asking this to criticise anything BTW, I honestly want to know. Google is giving me tons of conflicting answers so I thought this thread would be a good place to ask. :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Any takers on this? Or will I need to carry an Android device just in case, if I do decide to get a 6 Plus?

I'm not asking this to criticise anything BTW, I honestly want to know. Google is giving me tons of conflicting answers so I thought this thread would be a good place to ask. :)

I haven't tried specifically what you're looking to do but off the top of my head, the only solution I could think of would be to use Airdrop between your iPhone and a Mac.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Any old email attachment or a spreadsheet, word doc or pdf? Without an Internet connection on the Mac or PC the only thing the iphone exposes are the pictures. So of that is your use case, transferring random objects from the iPhone to a Mac by use of a cable, the iPhone will not do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.