What are TC alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thenewguy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

So for those of us for whom TC hasn't been working out - what are the best alternatives?

Obviously nothing else will allow wireless backups, but if we're looking for a wireless N router and a NAS storage device or enclosure, what should we be looking for?

The network and networked storage is what I'm mostly interested in.

2. chelsel macrumors 6502

Infrant ReadyNAS NV+

Although not officially sanctioned by Apple... you CAN easily perform Time Machine backups (and more importantly restores :) using an Infrant ReadyNAS... or any similar NAS. Here are some simple steps to set it up on an Infrant: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15271&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=120

The major advantage of using a dedicated NAS device instead of the Time Capsule is that your backup is itself protected by a RAID storage system... if your Time Capsule blows its hard disk then you've lost your backup. The Infrant has the redundancy of RAID to make your backups even more secure.

Enjoy!

3. thenewguy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response!

I've heard of that TM hack, and would definitely use it, maybe in conjunction with a connected backup just for safety.

Do you or anyone else have any product recomendations? Either an all-in-one NAS drive, or perhaps what would be better would be a NAS enclosure that I can put my own drives into.

I'd also like recomendations on the best N wireless routers out there. And lastly I'd like whatever setup I can find to work as a print server to, so I can hook up my all-in-one to it (and if there's any way for scanning to work wirelessly as oposed to the TC that would be GREAT)

I know its a lot, but I think a lot of people are looking for alternatives at this point.